Monday, December 17, 2018

Quilt - day 21

Quilting often looks like this. It is the boating of the craft world.

It is surprising that this is the first time a problem with the machine came up. It has been a smooth project so far. Other than the hobby lobby fabric problem, everything else has been smooth sailing.

This is the machine I use for quilting only. I piece on my newer (computerized, few quirks, easier to thread) machine. But when it comes to quilting, a heavy machine does a better job. The poor machine hasn't been used in over a year. And when it was started up...it didn't start up. I plugged it in. The motor spun. But the handwheel wouldn't move more then a few centimeters in either direction (meaning the needle only moved up and down a little bit). Thankfully the machine is all mechanical and I speak mechanical. I took the whole thing apart and oiled everything (new machines don't need oil) and put it back together and then realized that bobbin casing wasn't it properly. That was it. I snapped it back together. Problem solved. And my machine was all nicely oiled and dusted out. There is so much lint that builds up inside the machine from hours of use.

By the time that was all finished I called it a night on Saturday night. Sunday was a rest day. I hope to quilt tonight.

Total hours:
38.5 (1.5 quilting straight lines with the new machine and 1 hour fixing my old machine so I can start quilting the curved stuff)

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that quilting took so long (though it really shouldn't surprise me. Every time I think "oh I could make this cheaper than I could buy it," the project inevitably ends up costing far more in time, and often materials, than if I'd just bought whatever it was in the first place. But you couldn't buy a quilt like this from a store!) It's been very interesting to read your process. Can't wait to see the final quilt, it is looking so good!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?