Saturday, December 15, 2018

Quilt- day 20

Not a quilt picture. Testing out a Jeep seat cover in my car. They aren’t the same size...

My brother sent me a picture of a Mexican blanket and a website that explained how to make seat covers and asked if I would make him seat covers for his Jeep for Christmas. He traces all the seams and sides of the seats on plastic bags and mailed them to me. It took about two hours to do this first one. Working with Mexican blankets is a challenge. They unravel so quickly if they are moved around too much. So it took some planning ahead and lots of slow and gentle movements when sewing (instead of just jamming everything through the machine). 

Quilt update
Step 1:
Blocks - FINISHED!!


Step 2:Borders - FINISHED!!


Step 2.5:Backing - FINISHED and sandwiched! 
The lady at Hobby Lobby cut me only 3.5 yards. Grrrr. I really don’t like buying fabric there. I’ve had several problems. Plus the fabric just isn’t as quality.  It is stiffer and bleeds more when washed.  I would much rather pay more for nicer fabric at a quilt store. But we don’t have any more left in my town. :(  I was spoiled when we had three to choose from. It was so close to not being enough. I had a scrap that was 2” x 8” left over. I wish I had a picture of it so show you how crazy and nerve wracking it was. It was really really close to not being enough. I had to do a bunch of extra cutting and sewing to make it work. Which is why I logged so many hours yesterday working on it. And in the end I wish I had just picked one fabric, I decided to mix two together and I like them both, but the blue one is definitely my favorite (which is funny because the green fabric is dots). 

Step 3:QuiltGoal: 3 days or 9 hours


Step 4:Binding.
Goal: 2 days or 6 hours hand sewing


Total hours: 36
(Plus Jared has put in about 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?