Saturday, December 08, 2018

Quilt - day 12 & 13 ( And a total update)

I had originally planned to just use 4 nine patches. I only got a picture of the of them before they were cut up. The colors looked nice, however, I thought they would look better as Scrappy nine patches. 

Jared helped me cut them up and mix them around. I only finished setting one into its final shape. The others I will finish later today and then I'll be finished all the squares!! 

I did start on some borders last night too. I really liked that navy boarder (top right), but not the inside. The yellow didn't make the cut either. But the boarder gave me fits because I had to work backwards to figure out how big the middle should be (left picture - yes, I mixed decimals and fractions). Maybe that's why I enjoy quilting - it involves quite a bit of math, especially when you design your own quilts. It seems simple, but when you add in the seam allowances - you lose 1/4" from each piece of fabric each time you sew it to something else - it becomes a little crazy. I did my math about ten different times and in about three different ways just to make sure it was correct before I started sewing.  

So there you have it.  Almost two weeks in and it is shaping up into one of my favorite quilts (and one of the most time consuming . 

Step 1: 
Goal: 20 blocks
Finished: 17 (and almost the last three) - I'm so close. 

Step 2:
Let's talk boarders now. 
Most likely there will be five internal boarders ( if you count the sashing around those middle stars) and four external boarders. 

Goal: 9
Finished: 1

Step 2.5:
Backing - if I'm short on time I'll make this solid. If I have a bit of extra time, I might add some blocks to make it interesting. I found the cutest block the other day... 

Step 3:
Quilt
With all these boarders it is going to take a while to do the quilting. I'm starting to sketch ideas. It will take a few days. 

Step 4: 
Binding. 
Most likely I'll do a scrappy binding, but it all depends on the time. I have most of it cut because I was using a lot of scraps for this quilt, as pieces became around 2.5" I would shape them up and stick them in a pile. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?