Friday, December 14, 2018

Quilt -day 19

We have a finished quilt top!!!

I had a minor meltdown, freeze-up on this last part. See, the cream colored dots are one of my favorite fabrics (ever - they are one of the best background fabrics ever and they are dots - but not annoying polka dots, the best cream colored, blending dots) and I have been hoarding this big piece for a while. I didn’t quite realize how much of it I would have to use for the background... until last night and almost all of it had to be cut up. Ahhhh. I had to get Jared to cut the last 7 strips of fabric for me. Once they were cut I had to use them, but I just couldn’t bring myself to cut them off. In the end I am glad that they are used up on a project for someone I love. They probably would have sat on my shelf for 50 years and wasted away.

Anyhow, I have fabric hoarding problems. Which probably makes me a real quilter because that is what I hear from most quilters. Books and fabrics are my downfall. :) And a good dark chocolate (speaking of dark chocolate - the orange and the mint dark chocolate bars at Aldis are my favorites).

And look at that scrap pile. Now that I have wood floors in my sewing room, I just throw everything off the side of my desk while I am cutting. In the end I’ll gather it all up and use it for stuffing for something.

Quilt updateStep 1:
Blocks - FINISHED!!

Step 2:
Borders - FINISHED!!

Step 2.5:
Backing
Going to buy 4 yards tonight.

Step 3:
Quilt
Goal: 3 days or 9 hours
Maybe I’ll start tomorrow! Jared had Christmas cantata practice all morning (boo). It is one of those practices that doesn’t have an end time. (Reminder to myself: set meetings with start and end times and stick to them.) Maybe after quiet time tomorrow.

Step 4:
Binding.
The binding is made. Jared cut it and sewed it for me the other night. It is all curled up and waiting to be attached to finished quilt.
Goal: 2 days or 6 hours hand sewing

Total hours: 32
I’ve never tracked my time before on a quilt. This is very interesting.  I can see why people charge thousands of dollars for handmade quilts. The fabric, batting, and thread for this quilt would have cost about $150-$200.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?