Monday, September 18, 2017

I built a shelf!

And forgot to take a real before picture of everything randomly and precariously stacked. 
But I did get a good picture of me and the saw. Because that is important. Ha ha. 

It kind of looked like this, but worse. More stacks. 

Worthless giant cupboard. We suspect that this is the base cabinet for a sink, which would explain why there are no shelves. There are so many strange things about this kitchen and house. 

Well, I was tired of things falling over every time I needed something out of the cupboard. The waste of useful space also bugged me. I had mentioned it to my Dad and Jared, but neither of them work in this space EVERY day. 

So, after rearranging everything to get something in the back I started to think about how hard it could actually be to make a shelf. I found a few scrap wood pieces that just needed to be trimmed down to size, set up shop in the garage, measured twice, sawed them down, grabbed a few nails and a hammer, and pounded my frustration away. 

Look at all that space!!!! Such a simple project and it made a huge change. It makes me smile every time I open the door. So so so much better. 

Next to paint the bottom cupboards and change the faces of those fake plastic drawer fronts. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at you go!

    I was thinking lately of making something very similar out of scrap wood, but mine would be a little larger because I was thinking of making a shelf/table to hold Isaac's train set (that he is getting soon.) I thought I would put it on top of the little raised brick hearth in front of our (non-working) gas fireplace, because it would keep him from climbing up there all the time, and wouldn't take any extra space up in the room. A couple little legs screwed on a piece of scrap plywood would be just the ticket. I could easily paint roads and trees and stuff on the board, and maybe add a small raised border to keep toys from falling off. On second thought, maybe I should get Josh to help me haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea. I wish I were closer. I would help.
      I'd offer to make one for Christmas, but it wouldn't look a tenth as good as something Josh or his dad could do.

      Delete
  2. It looks great! Maybe I'll have you build me some shelves when you visit me in a few days! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?