Thursday, January 05, 2012

Concerning food

First, did you know that if you leave ham slices in the microwave for too long they will burn?  Weird.  I had never thought about it until today when I actually burned ham.  I usually come home from work on my lunch break (otherwise, people find me and I am stuck working during lunch - boo) and put my lunch in the microwave (or oven) and then run off to the bathroom while it cooks (because my bathroom is SO much nicer than the bathroom at work - over 900 people use that bathroom).  Today I was thawing out some frozen ham slices and thought it would take 3 minutes or so, however, after two the ham slices were turning brown and drying out.  Crazy.  So just in case you were curious... ham burns in the microwave.  ha.

Next, I made a new recipe last night.  I guess that is sort of in my goal of cooking more dinners.  Yes, they were pancakes, but pancakes are a very good dinner (especially when served with eggs and ham).  I have been meaning to try out a recipe for sweet potato pancakes for a while (and knowing me, I couldn't just follow one recipe).   I meshed my normal whole wheat and oatmeal pancakes with a sweet potato pancake recipe and my sweet potato pie recipe.  Easier said this way, I added sweet potato in place of the milk and applesauce and added cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and vanilla to the batter.  They are excellent.  I am having the extras for lunch today (with the burn ham).  :)

A story of why Jared is so sweet.   He was working in Centerville yesterday and so on his way home he stopped at the Outlets in Queenstown and looked around.  He bought me some moose munch at Harry and David, but not just any Moose Munch.  He bought me extreme dark chocolate moose munch and a bag of chocolate and peanut butter.  He told me how he had seen the dark chocolate mixed with the regular and thought about getting it for me, but THEN he spotted the ALL dark chocolate mix.    Just the fact that he knows what I like and that he thought about it makes me so happy.  Jared is very thoughtful when he wants to be.  He also helped me clean the house this weekend before Jamie and Dasha came to dinner and he cleans my bathroom every week and he makes me laugh.  I love Jared.

Have you ever learned anything interesting or weird about how food cooks?   I usually find these things out by trial and error.  Another example, bananas and brownie mix do not ever go together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?