Thursday, February 16, 2012

Random thoughts

Jared and I heard this on, A Prairie Home Companion.  It make us laugh.
Barista: Would you like to try our Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Garrison Keillor: No, thank you. I don't drink vegetable-flavored coffee.

Wait Wait Wait, Don't tell me, is my favorite show on NPR. I download the podcasts to an ipod touch and listen to them often.  LOVE!  I wish I could download A Prairie Home Companion because that is my second favorite.  I also love Fresh Air, depending on the guest.  Last week I read the four of the first five books in the Little House on the Prairie Series.  I skipped Farmer Boy... I know, I know... I am going to go back and read it.  I was just so interested in what happened to Laura and her family. 
 
After 25 years, I have finally learned how to spell the work Prairie.  I think it finally sunk in when I stayed in Grand Prairie in Texas for my training this Winter.
 
While flying out of Denver, I came to realize several things:
1. Flying at night >> (is much greater than) flying during the day.  I love looking at all the lights below.  Ideally, taking off at sunset is the best and then flying into the sunset.  :)
2. Flying in cold weather >> flying in the summer.  I get sick on airplanes.  I become much less sick if cold air is blowing on me.
3. Dramamine and earplanes make flying so much happier for me.
4. Southwest >> American Airlines.  There is no contest.  Bags fly Free vs. $50/bag round trip. No change fees.  All the snacks you could want vs. NOTHING for free.  Friendly people everywhere vs. not friendly people. 
5. Enterprise >> Hertz  (this and the Southwest post are going to be a seperate post, however, I just thought I would mention here, how much I LOVE Enterprise and their service.  I feel so taken care of when I use them.  I wish their personal rental rates were as cheap as their price cuts for corperations.  I would love to rent from them during vacations AND business trips.    
6. Flying when there is snow on the ground or Christmas lights on houses is super neat!!
7. The Denver Airport is one of the neatest airports that I have been in, but BWI is still my favorite airport to fly into (maybe because it is that much closer to home, also, it is one of the most efficient airports -- my baggage is always waiting for me and I am not waiting for it). 
8. Oh and having a whole row to yourself to sleep on is AMAZING! But having the woman in front of you talk the whole time is NOT (or the drunk businessmen who reminded me of Brian Regan's bit on the ME monster... google that, it is hilarious!!!).

Happy lunchtime!
This should be the last of airport posts for a while.  I hope to stay safely on the ground for a good while now.  So, this is your last chance to share an airport story or two in the comments. What have you realized about flying or airports or luggage? 

3 comments:

  1. faith, if you ever come and visit we should have ben take us up. it's really fun being in the front seat of a really small plane, turning and swooping. especially at sunset and at night. really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to leave my airport comments! Well, I used to LOVE to fly! The whole thing thrilled me!

    -having my ginger ale OR cran-apple
    -the little meals
    -the walking free as a bird on the wind in another city during a layover


    now, I get really claustrophobic! I sometimes will sit at work and watch a plane board and just get this wonderful sense of relief that I am not boarding that plane. I often times have to close my eyes and pray that God will help me make it through because I have insane thoughts like "I have to get off of this airplane right now..RIGHT NOW..CAN I GET OFF??!?!?!!?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally think that during flights... it gets to a point when I think, "GET ME OFF OF HERE RIGHT NOW!!!"

    I don't think I would enjoy going up in a little plant. I prefer to have my feet on the ground as long (and as often) as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?