Sunday, February 19, 2012

Jambalaya

SERVES 12 (I did not notice this the first time I made it) ha ha ha

2 TBS vegetable oil (or butter or olive oil)
2 c. smoked sausage
2 c. chicken
2 c. onions
2 c. green peppers
2 c. celery

4 -6 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
1.5 tsp thyme leaves (I never have these, I never use it)
1.5 tsp oregano
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper

8 large tomatoes diced (or canned or just throw in extra tomato sauce - that is what I normally do)
1 c. canned tomato sauce (see above)
4 c. chicken stock
salt to taste (didn't add any)

2 - 4 c. rice

Heat the oil in a large pot (I have a 12 quart pan I use). Either cook the sausage and chicken here or already have it cooked and add in later.  Stir in the onions, celery, and green peppers.  Cook until tender.   

Lower heat.  Add garlic and other seasonings. Stir for about 1 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock.  Bring to a boil.  Add salt to taste and more pepper if needed.

I cook the rice, in another pan, until it is almost finished (still a little crunchy) and drain the extra water and then add it to the jambalaya. The recipe calls for it to be added to the jambalaya uncooked, but I use brown rice and it doesn't seem to cook all the way...

That is it.  It is pretty spicy.  Thanks to Ms. Pat for the great Southern cookbook that she gave us on our 1st anniversary.  I have used it more than any other cookbook (even more than Betty Crocker).  It is getting some pretty beautiful stains on it.  :)  I should post some pictures.  I say, never trust a clean cookbook.  ha ha. 

4 comments:

  1. mmmmm this sounds good! and i agree, stained and dirty cookbooks are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cream puffs were good (all gone in a day- oops). So, maybe I should try this recipe now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered what happened to the cream puffs yesterday;)

    Lunch was delicious Faith(and Michelle). Thanks for including U. Bill and me.

    LOVE jambalaya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming, Aunt Suzanne.

    Anna, those cream puffs are AMAZING. I had to hold myself back from buying cream at the store today.

    Linnea, I love cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?