Saturday, January 21, 2012

Salsa (my favorite recipe)

My favorite salsa recipe +++
another versatile recipe that can be adapted and changed as needed

basic recipe:
*1/2 medium onion
*2 seeded jalapenos
*3 or 4 garlic cloves
*tomatoes to taste
*NaCl (salt)
*lemon or lime juice

additional add ins:
* cilantro
* corn
* black beans
* cumin
* red onion, diced

I have a pampered chef manual food processor.  It is really small and I have to usually make 2 or 3 batches in it to make enough to take to a party or friend's house. I have also made this in my blender (however, it is really smooth that way... just like when you have it at mexican restaurants, I like it, Jared likes it a bit chunky, which is why I usually use the manual food processor).  So, use the blender if you want a smooth salsa, use a food processor on pulse if you want chunky salsa, or cut it all up by hand (especially good in the summer with fresh tomatoes).

1. (food processor) If using a food processor, quarter the onions and jalapenos and garlic.  Pulse in food processor with some lemon (or lime) juice until the desired chunkiness (I usually try for the size of diced garlic or grains of rice - I like the flavor of the onion and garlic to be distributed better than the tomato). If added cilantro, add it in this step. 

2. (food processor) Add tomatoes and pulse a few times until desired thickness.  Dump into a bowl to season.
1. (chopping) If hand chopping, chop up the previous ingredients (onions through tomatoes) and toss in a bowl. 

2. (chopping) use purple onions instead of white onions for a better flavor

3. (both) Add the seasonings (salt, cumin - if using). Stir to evenly mix. 

4. (optional) Stir in black beans or corn. 

Serve with chips or on fajitas or tacos or nachos or salads.  Jared and I eat this stuff all the time.  I find that it gets better after a day or two in the refrigerator.  During the summer I usually make one batch and let it sit while we have another batch to eat (that was made a few days earlier).  This will last about a week in the refrigerator.  

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?