Monday, January 30, 2012

Granola

For several years now, since it dawned on me how cheap all the ingredients in granola were and how expensive it was at the store, I have been trying to make granola that I like at home.  The first thing I realized was that most granola recipes call for 2 sticks of melted butter or a cup of oil.  I thought, there has to be a better way.  I tried substituting the oil with apple sauce and sweet potato puree.  Nothing worked until I found this recipe in Taste of Home (that didn't call for ANY oil or butter) and tweaked it with a few alterations of my own (I cut the sugar in half, added coconut and almonds).  After several batches (and double batches) of this recipe, I can finally declare that I have succeeded. 

So in case you need a good for you, delicious granola recipe, I have listed mine below.  If you find in not sweet enough, feel free it up the sugar.  The original recipe also calls for 1tsp of maple extract, but I just double the vanilla.  

Granola
Yield: 9 cups

Ingredients:
* 8 cups old-fashion oats (not the quick cook ones, but not the expensive ones either, the ones that take 5 minutes to cook, not the 1 minute to cook oats... this is almost an entire big canister)
* 1/2 - 1 cup shredded coconut (I use a heavy 1 cup - I really like toasted coconut)
* 1/2 - 1 cup chopped or diced almonds (or pecans if you want to splurge, almonds are cheaper).  I roughly chop up my almonds and sometimes I throw them in whole. 
* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 1 cup raisins
* 1 cup craisins







1. Mix oats, coconut and almonds together in A LARGE bowl (I end up having to use two bowls). 
2. Mix water, sugar, salt, and vanilla together.  Pour over the oats mixture.  Mix with your hands.  
3. Dump the mixture onto two cookie sheets (I have two 10" x 15" pans that have a lip around the outside, that work wonderfully for this - they came from Hannah for one of my wedding showers - thanks, Hannah!!!!)
4. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
5. Remove and cool on wire racks (to cool faster) or just on the counter.  As they cool or after they are cool, mix in the raisins and craisins.  


Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Eat with milk (my favorite) or yogurt (Jared's favorite).   

1 comment:

  1. oh, bless you for this!

    gonna put it all on my shopping list this week:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?