Monday, March 26, 2018

2018 - Book 12

Continuing on the trend of books that teach me about something I don't know much about and are from a different perspective than mine... 

This is my book of the year so far! The writing is suburb. I couldn't tear myself away. I felt the author's agony as his world crumbled. His devotion, love for truth, and love of God put me to shame. 

It reminded me of Secret Thoughts of An Unlikely Convert in some ways.  Mainly, how to relate to and walk with someone over many years as you share the gospel with them. Change is slow. Relationships are crucial. 

The author spends the first half of the book explaining how Islam works, how it is studied, what books they read, how important culture is, etc. I found that whole section extremely helpful in just thinking about how other people think about life. The discussion about the Eastern vs. Western way of thinking about life was fascinating (and also helpful for dealing with ESL students).

When the author talks about coming to the end of himself and surrendering, I cried. When he talked about knowing what the decision would do to his parents and then explained how their relationship changed afterwards, I cried.  It left me wanting to know Jesus more and to love him more.  

Pages: 287

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?