Thursday, March 22, 2007

Update on job interviews:

I had two interviews for internships this summer yesterday (both were paying intern positions...woohoo being an engineer and making money!!). First off, I forgot all of my dress clothes when I came back home on Friday. So all I had with me was two pairs of jeans and a few t-shirts. So on Saturday I asked Jared to go shopping with me for a pair of dress pants and a nice belt. We found both. Thankfully, I had remembered to bring my dress shoes and Anna let me borrow a button down shirt. Woohoo for having sisters that are your size.

So I had my first interview at 8:30. It was at AWB engineers. I have really really really been wanting this job since I heard about it. They only hire one intern a summer, so I don't know yet. All I know is that this is the coolest place to work out of all the places that I have looked into. Most places just have you filing paperwork or getting coffee or doing random odd jobs. Here I would be getting to design some of my own stuff and learning the computer programs that they use. I like learning things this way. It seems like a waste of my time to sit in class and learn all sorts of things that I will never use. I like learning how to do things and why I am doing them. I like to know the best and fastest way to do things. I had the oppuntunity to talk to the owner (who is good friends with my neighbor that I used to cut grass for) and one of their mechanical engineers (who also went to University of Maryland and was in the SU 3-2 program) at the career fair a few weeks ago. After talking with them I wanted the job even more. And now that I have had my interview and met with everyone in the office and had the tour of their building and seen what they do, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the job. If I get this job, I would be so excited! It is such an amazing oppurtunity and it could lead to my real job after I graduate. So, this is the internship that I would love to be able to have. I can't express how excited that I would be if I got this! I would work there for very little pay, just for the great experience it would be and because the place seems like an awesome (and even fun) place to work. Granted, I would be the only women (besides the secretary and office manager). But, I am used to that. :) heh. I think I actually perfer it that way. Plus most of the guys who work there are Christians. Matt Smith (from church) is the president. Yeah, I didn't know that either until a few weeks ago. But I wouldn't be working for him because he isn't an ME.

Anyhow, I think the interview went well. They said they will make their decision within the week and get back to me. Click on the picture to see their website.


Second I ran downtown to go to another firm. They shall remain nameless because the woman who interviewed me is very sweet and has been very helpful. But I got there at 11:15 and my interview was at 11:30 and the secretary tells me that my interview is at 1:30. I have the email to prove it was at 11:30!!! So anyhow, it is pointless to go home because I wouldn't have enough time there before I had to head back downtown. So I called Jared and he was working in Salisbury (thankfully - he rarely works in Salisbury). So we ate lunch together and went to Ritas for free italian ice. Then I went down to SU and visited my old office. They are such nice people. I am sorry that they are not an engineering office. I would work there again otherwise. Then I went back to this place and arrived around 1:15. I sat there until 2 before seeing anyone. My interviewer at AWB was a few minutes late because he was right in the middle of something, but he sent two other people to talk to me while I waited and I learned a lot from them. Here, I just sat, by myself in the waiting room. This job would have been a civil job, so it wasn't really what I was looking for, but a few of my contacts in Salisbury (old professors and stuff) suggested this. So there I sat for 45 minutes. Like I said, I can't cut them down too much because the lady who interviewed me was really nice and she has tried to help me find other jobs in the area. It was just annoying to be made to wait 2 hours and 45 minutes after your scheduled interview to be seen. I think we both agreed that I don't really fit at their company and frankly, I would have hated it there. The job describtion was either 1) spending my summer in the basement filing papers, printing copies of things, running to different places like Georgetown or the Sussex Courthouse to drop off or pick up papers, or buying food and stuff or 2) surveying (aka standing out in a field with a pole). And either one of those for the glorious pay of 7 dollars an hour. I make better money and gain more experience at Chick-fil-A! And on top of it all I would have had to park downtown, which means I would have had to pay to park every day! BLECK. So goodbye second job interview!!! I won't be working there.

I am praying that AWB internship works out and they don't have anyone better than me applying. :)
If it doesn't work out, God has something better planned for me.
However, I hope this is the best that he wants for me.

1 comment:

  1. Faith, I'm so excited for you! I know exactly how it feels to get a job of your dream :) Hope you get it. They'll regret it for the rest of their lives if you don't. In Ukraine we say that the best job is a hobby that's being paid for. Hope this is it for you, hun. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?