Friday, November 05, 2010

Some days, on Fridays when the day is going slowly, the older people around me in engineering open up around their childhood and I hear really fascinating stories of the way things used to be in Salisbury, Berlin, Seaford, and the surrounding area.  Those are the days that I love my job (but really it is the people's stories that I love). It makes being here more entertaining.   I think people should write books about their lives in the  50s, 60s, and 70s.  It sounds so much more interesting then today.  I know my Dad's stories of growing up on a farm are so much more interesting than the stories I can tell my kids some day.  I would read a book about my Dad's childhood.  People got away with doing a lot of things that we would say were dangerous today, but they are all still alive.  I think we worry too much about things these days and in worrying, we miss out on some fun.  Granted, some of those worries are probably justified.   We also spend WAY too much time in front of TV, the computer, and our phones!!  So, go out and ask someone about their life and enjoy life at a little bit of a slower pace.

I like hearing about milk being delivered on doorsteps and various other delivery people that came around and visited.  People seemed to have more time to simply visit with each other and enjoy life.  Life is too busy these days (and I don't even have a family of my own yet).  I want more time to sit back and relax and talk to people (especially people who are older than me and can tell me stories of their lives).  I like every day (what they would probably think of as boring) stories.  Today I heard a whole lot about working at an ice plant.  Let's just say that after working fast food and seeing their ice (bleh) and now hearing about the ice plant (double bleh), I am really glad that I like my water room temperature. 

So, invite me over (or invite yourself over) and tell me some stories about where you grew up and what you did when you were younger.  I'll sit and listen (and probably really enjoy it).  Maybe I should take notes and write a book. 

3 comments:

  1. you'll have a ton of great stories to tell your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree with Hannah, you will have so many cool things to tell your kids!

    Yeah, I love to ask people about their lives. Everyone has an interesting life story! And it's interesting to hear the kinds of answers you get when you ask the question "So what's your life story?"

    :-)

    Lately I've been reminiscing a lot about hanging out with my dad when I was a little kid. I just adored going ANYWHERE with him, and so a lot of times I'd hang around some old lady's house from Church while he visited with her. Or hung out in the hospital waiting room while he was in seeing a patient. Or we would just go to fill the car up with gas on a Saturday ngiht and listen to Prairie Home Companion the whole way there and back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love A Prairie Home Companion!! I might cry when Garrison Kellor dies. I love his musical guests and his ketchup song.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?