Tuesday, November 02, 2010

How can you not love homemade food, especially when it involves cream, butter, egg yolks, and homemade chicken broth?  Oh yes, that is what I have for lunch today.  A cozy little dish with a sauce made from those yummy ingredients and some shredded chicken over brown rice.  It reminds me of Turkey Di'van, but a WHOLE lot more amazing.  It is so creamy and wonderful.  It is a perfect little winter food.  I will be making it again.  I think I may even make this sauce and substitute it for all recipes calling for "cream of X soups".  Thanks to my German cookbook for this treasure.  It is putting me in the mood for biscuits and gravy.
 
Hmmm, I might have to buy some sausage at the store for this weekend... Saturday breakfast?  Never mind, that is the Reformation breakfast.  I guess it will have to be the next weekend.  In other news, I am in the mood to make some gingerbread cookies, but I don't want to eat them... I wonder if I could sell them somewhere.  In case you hadn't picked up on this fact, my dream is to someday own a bakery and/or small cafe.  That way I could bake gingerbread, cinnamon buns, sugar cookies, pies, and German chocolate cake all day lot and not have to eat it.  :) Maybe my dream is more to be the baker at a small cafe or bakery... owning it would probably be a lot more work.  One of my goals in the next few years is to take a few classes in the Wor-Wic food department, starting with Pastry!!!  I wonder if they are teaching that next fall?  Since I am not teaching next semester I might be able to fit it in...
 
On a side note (or maybe it is going back to the first point of this blog today), I love the possibilities afforded with home cooking.  It is so creative and tasty.  A little fact you all might think is funny, since you should know that I don't like tomatoes, is that they are one of my favorite foods to cook and throw in recipes (homemade salsa and spaghetti sauce).  I also love that good foods can be so cheap to make at home!  That makes me especially happy.  I love looking at what a frozen lasagna costs, adding up what I spent, tasting the incredible difference, and smiling because I know that better tasting food is cheaper.   Oh, and did I mention that I love real cream.  I have started cooking with it and making whipped cream with it.  As long as I can I will be making my own whipped cream.   There is something very satisfying about hand whipping cream until it becomes thick.  It is the similar feeling I have when kneading my own bread.  I love it. I love cooking.  I wish I was paid to cook.  Does anyone want to hire me to plan your meals, shop for you (I enjoy grocery shopping, is that weird?  It is a big treasure hunt for me), and cook all your food? 
 
It seems I am back to blogging, for a while, but only to talk about food. 
 
Question: Do you have any favorite meals or food items to cook?  What makes you especially happy about cooking?
I definitely have to say that breads are one of the most satisfying food items to cook. I love kneading them and watching them rise.  I love how they smell when they rise and when they bake.  They are so pretty when they come out of the oven golden brown.  AND they are especially delicious warm with butter and homemade jam.  :)  I am pretty sure bread is my absolute favorite food to create.

1 comment:

  1. grocery shopping is fun for me too-
    if I am alone:D

    I successfully made my first ever legit dinner rolls the other night. Amazing! Again, better/easier done alone I suspect:)

    My favorites to cook would be ANYthing! Most favorite is baking treats, and eating them. Pumpkin stuff is best of all, and it is prime pumpkin season;) (i find wearing aprons makes anything in the kitchen glorious!)

    ALSO, maybe you and jared will visit here soon? You can bring your favorite recipes and show me your "style"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?