Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Did you grow up in the country?

Today I was wandering around my job helping people out in manufacturing.  I was correcting sheets with my red pen and stamping them with my approval.  While helping this one group of women they asked me, "did you grow up in the country?"
To which I replied, "Do you mean the United States?"
"No," they replied, "we mean like the country or the city."
"I grew up in Salisbury. Does that count as city or country?"
They said they would call that the city.
"Well, then I grew up in the city."
"Well, we were discussing you and we think you have a 'country feel' about you.  You are cheerful."
"ummm... thanks."
P.S.  I did not have my hair in braids today.  Come to think of it, I haven't worn my hair in braids for over two weeks... hmm.
 
This reminds me of Jared's Target co-workers that told him that I reminded them of a Hippie.  Apparently wearing no make-up and my hair in braids occasionally means that I am an uncivilized bumpkin.  ha ha.  I should tell them that I can my own veggies and fruits, bake my own bread, and sew quilts. 
 
This was going to be a post about how great Jared is (because he washes the dead turkey and chickens off for me and puts them in the pan), but I found this story rather amusing.   I have a turkey sitting in brine at home waiting to be cooked tomorrow.  It is going to be pretty incredible (hopefully)!!  It is in there will all sorts of yummy spices, apples juice, and orange peels.  Also, it is spiced cidar time and that makes me super happy.  I have had a mug or two each night for four days now.  I keep using my silver travel mug that Hayley gave me many years ago.  It is my favorite because it keeps it warm for so long.  Jared is using our Christmas/snowmen dishes to drink his. 
 
Has anyone told you something about yourself that you stop and think, "hmmm?? I wonder what they mean by that", about?  Ha ha. 
 
And a bonus question, Does your husband do anything for you because he knows you hate it? 
Jared rinses my raw whole chickens off for me and he cleans the bathroom!!  YAY!  I love him.
 

9 comments:

  1. people are super funny/weird.
    patrick does all ironing and almost all laundry;D
    xo
    (also...why are you rinsing chicken?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, I completely can relate with you on this one! Around here there are some down right COUNTRY folks. So people always say "You're a farm girl aren't you!!" or they say "You must have grown up in North Dakota on a farm!"

    I always say , 'Actually no...'

    hahahahaha! People are just always shocked to discover I am not a native North Dakotan. It's probably because I have COMPLETELY adopted the accent...sheesh.

    Also people like to categorize me as "A real religious type", and assume I know or am interested in everything from Catholic mass rituals, to Hindu principles etc. AND people hold me to these bizarre standards and say things like "Wow, Linnea you play cards? That surprises me. I wouldn't expect you to do that." (I am like, wha??!)

    Ben does the dishes, the dear darling! He knows I don't like it, and he always knows he is twice as fast at it (we don't have a dishwasher). So, he washes and I dry.

    He also does the laundry. No ironing though - bless his soul! He doesn't iron ANYTHING (so unlike my dad and brothers). If I am ironing my uniform I yell "Hey Ben you need anything ironed???" and he says "Nope."

    He's so funny! It's like the only area he's not really meticulous in. Bless his soul!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, over the years I get "You're a DOCTOR'S wife?! I would have never guessed"! Now, depending on who has said this(Another doctor's wife; a non-medical person) it could mean different things. Sometimes following this statement they ask, "Are you a nurse"? No, nurse/doctor is a bad combo and we tried to avoid that, thank you.

    I get the "religious" thing too. But it does mean folks call me to ask ,e to pray for things, which I'm glad to do.

    All this is amusing. And, Girls, tell me really, are YOU free from labeling others?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and Bill pretty much handles the trash. That's about as domestic as he gets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I label people all the time!!

    There was this guy I worked with who I was SURE was a homeschooler.

    I said "You were homeschooled weren't you."

    and he said "No why do you ask?"

    I just tried to change the subject.


    hahahahhahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe he WAS homeschooled and was just messin with your mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, when my Target Team Members told me that Faith looked like a hippy I laughed in their faces. It didn't occur to me at the time that they might have considered it rude of me to do so, but now I wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my Target Team Members told me that Faith looked like a hippy I laughed in their faces. It did not occur to me at the time that this may have seemed rude of me, but now I wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my Target Team Members told me Faith looked hippy I laughed in their faces. It did not occur to me at the time that this may have seemed rude of me to do, but now I wonder....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?