Monday, March 19, 2018

2018 Book 11

Pages 169

A fun little book with lots of examples.  

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Another Abandoned Book

I read 9/13 chapters for a Bible study. I couldn't bring myself to finished the middle four chapters (we were assigned readings from the book, so they weren't in order). 

I found myself writing editorial notes in the margins of the last two chapters that I read. 
Things like:
"Personal story distracts from point"
"Remove made-up example and let verse speak for itself"
"Try saying this in one or two sentences instead of 15"
"How does these points flow? What is the point? Try arranging them in a different order."

On top of the poor writing the book is formatted horribly. There are different fonts, varying size fonts, and bold an underline words everywhere. It is extremely distracting and unpleasant to read. 

This book needed a good editor to give it some clarity and flow. It had some good points, but it hurt my eyes (and head) to try to get through to them. 

Also, as noted before, I don't like books written specifically for women. 

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Hot Cross Buns

My icing was a bit thin. But they were still delicious. Recipe coming soon. 

Look how tall they are! 

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Library Holds

When your socks match your library holds. 

Also, I am in love with my hardwood floor still. 

Monday, March 12, 2018

Newest book and some interesting stats

This book was recommended to me two weeks ago at our missions conference. Then this week at the Mercy Ministry Conference someone actually gave me a copy!! 

There are lots of other stats that I want to comment about. But this is all I will start with. I am going to look online and see if anyone has compiled a total refugees by state. 

2018 - Book 10

Pages: 224
I read this book in two days. It is one of my favorites of the year so far. 

I know this is dated material (printed in 1968), but I couldn't help imagining:
1. The same situation in other "closed" countries today 
2. How being a "closed" country affects the people in their country. When I read reports or articles about different news events in other countries I should take into account their biases. We all think a certain way because of the environment that we are raised and live in. 
3. How have we taken advantage of the boarders being opened?
4. How little I trust God and doubt his provision and fail to seek his face. 

Books like this remind me of how big the church of Christ is and how much I still have to learn about faith. 

Saturday, March 10, 2018

What We Ate

Rosemary and Garlic Baked Chicken (kind of like this, but rub a paste of garlic and rosemary under the skin before you cook it)
Sweet Potatoes
Green Beans

Chicken Crockpot Mexican Dish
Sour Cream

Chicken Noodle Soup
Oatmeal Bread


Apple and Raisin German Pork Stuffing


Butternut Squash Risotto
Cheese and Crackers

Cajun Beef Stew
Mashed Potatoes
Cream Puffs

Thursday, March 08, 2018

Kitchen Mini Update

* We are going to paint the counters (a nice calm gray - instead of this yellowed white with gold specks) either next weekend or the weekend afterward.
* And we still need to paint one more coat on the laundry closet doors and trim.
* And we want to paint the refrigerator (maybe a canary yellow... thoughts?)

But it is coming along!  It was such a wonderful surprise to come home to this refreshed kitchen after a weekend away at our Women's Retreat. Thanks to my husband for this fun surprise.  It isn't often that 1) I am surprised and 2) I don't have a hand in house projects.

A few costs:
New lighting fixture: free (we had bought it for the old house and never installed it)
Lights over counter: free (hand-me-downs)
Chairs and table: $70 on Craigslist + free paint and poly that I had on hand
Paint for cupboards: $30 + extra paint leftover from other rooms to prime
Paint for handles: free - already had black spray paint

Before - realtor photo (cats - bleh)

After - ignore the scattered toys :) 

Yes, those are the same drawers. Jared painted them purple and they look some much better. 
This summer I cut the counter off and painted the fireplace room. 
It is going to look even better once the counters are painted. The paint is waiting in the garage. 

Before - look how little everyone is (and how dark it is - bleh)


Before - the day we signed the papers


Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Photos from the Kids

The boys asked to take a photo of me while they were playing in the yard. 
The first two are by Martin. 
The last is by Warbs. 

This is one of my favorite Christmas presents. My in-laws bought me a rocking chair. I have wanted one since we moved in. I used to sit in one of those tiny chairs (that you see to the left of me) when I watched the boys play in the yard. 

Memes was sick in these photos and wanted to rock with me. But he wanted to sit on the edge of the chair and lean back. It was more comfortable then these photos make it out to be. 

I love his face in this one. 

By the time Warbs got his turn to take a photo Memes had had enough sitting still.