Thursday, July 20, 2017
1. These three keep me busy. Especially now that they all move. They were watching Dad leave.
2. It has been in the 90s for over a week. And it is supposed to be 97 on Saturday. We've been hiding inside a lot. The boys are getting antsy.
3. My brother's wedding is Saturday!!
4. I've been planning the rehearsal dinner.
5. I made a runner and almost finished a book this week. Pictures of the runner coming soon.
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
1. I finished the whole Bible in six months. It was a rush at the end of June, but I did it and I am glad I did!! I really liked reading through whole chapters at a time. I'm soaking in some Old Testament minor prophets right now. I'm reading entire books repeatedly and slowly. It is balm for my soul. I'm learning to love the Old Testament the more I read it.
Oh, and once again, The reader's Bible is amazing!!!!
2. I am potty training Warren. He's a champion potty trained. It is so much easier in the summer time. But still, it is such an exhausting part of parenting. I sent him in underwear to my parents last night, but he wasn't ready for that challenge. So great at home. Great when I take him to church or the store, but not if I leave him places... Oh well. It is going well.
3. It is hot and humid and the boys want to be outside All. The. Time. Why? Tomorrow maybe we will do water balloons.
4. I've been to the beach 3 times already this summer. That is more times than the last four or five years combined.
5. I'm almost finished two books and it is only the middle of July. Yay, for having some time for books again.
Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Tackling this mess in our room finally.
Jared set up my desk a while ago, but it has just gathered clutter. Also, I haven't unpacked any of the boxes that were on the shelves above the desk. I guess I must not need all that stuff.
It is going to take a few quiet times to sort this stuff and put it where it goes. I've just gotten used to it. Today is the day to start chipping away at this stack of boxes and finding them a home!!!
The wire baskets are from our old wardrobe. We've been pulling stuff out of them since we moved. I have got to find them a permanent home.
And isn't this corner awkward? The door you see leads to a closet. I need to paint it a fun color. The door to the bathroom (not shown) is to the left of the mirror and hamper. We are thinking of extending the wall from the bookshelves and making that area a little dressing room... Maybe. So far that is the best idea.
It is a lot of putting stuff away and finding things homes.
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
1. I made fresh peach jam and peach Popsicles. The boys road their bikes around the neighborhood and ate Popsicles afterwards.
2. We have a pet toad. The boys named him Mr. Toad after The Wind in the Willows. I started reading it to them this week. I sold them on "there is a toad that drives a car".
3. I am about 100 pages from finishing reading through the Bible in 6 months!! I think I am going to make it.
3b. I have accomplish zero projects recently because I'm doing Bible reading in my spare time and reading to the boys.
4. My MIL gave me the best quilting book for my birthday. I can't wait to do some projects out of it. They are so neat.
5. We transplanted our sunflower plants and they are actually still living!! The boys have had so much fun so far watchin them grow. We started them with seeds in a tray on the porch since the squirrels kept eating them. We will have to plant more things next year. It is a great science experiment!
Friday, June 23, 2017
I've been wanting to do this since day one. I kept mentioning it to Jared or my Dad, but they are always busy with other projects.
The boys were at the store with my parents to buy supplies for my sister's baby shower this weekend. I was all alone and cleaning the kitchen and I thought, "I should cut that off right now!"
"But you've never used the saw before. Danger danger!"
"I'm an engineer I can figure this out!"
"Danger danger. You'll probably cut off your arm."
"Oh no, that's true and I haven't showered yet today and I am in clothes for cleaning the house. What would they think of me in the emergency room?"
"What?!? That is the stupidest reason not to cut off the counter."
Don't you talk to yourself?
It really opens up the space between the washer and dryer and counter. Now people will be able to pass by when someone else is unloading the dryer. It looks way more open in person.
I had already forgotten how dark those closet doors made the kitchen and all those cabinets.
I painted the hardware black last week before or houseguest a came. I am loving the black and white contrast. I'm not normally a huge just black and white fan. I love color. But this is good.
Every little bit makes it a more welcoming space to cook and eat in. :) I can't wait to add some more Windows, knock down some walls, and rearrange everything. But that is still a few years down the road.
Do you use power tools?
Tuesday, June 20, 2017
(The only picture I have from the last week - I took it during lunch break today to prove to Jared that we actually did go to the beach...which really doesn't prove we went to the beach - this could be any parking lot)
The best days rarely end up on film (or in pictures). Maybe that is why wedding photography is so sought after and expensive. The ordinary moments are when I remember to take pictures of my boys. The special moment evade capture. They are almost to special to interrupt.
• Last week my brother drove 16 hours to visit for 4 days. - I didn't get a picture with him any of the times he played with my boys or visited. Martin was just in awe of him and followed him around.
• Last week I held my new niece for the second time and all six cousins were together for the first time. - I didn't get a picture. Really?
• Last week my sister, who lives five hours away, was in town and visited several times with her son. - I didn't get a picture with her or of her or of her artwork on my sidewalk. We had the best visit as I worked in my kitchen and she chilled at my kitchen table. We used to have rooms right next door to each other and I miss moments like these.
• This weekend our best friends from Mississippi drove all the way up to visit us. We miss our dear friends that we spent so much time with before they left. It was so good to be in close company again. - I did not take any pictures.
• Today we went to the beach with sweet friends who introduced us to fishing and crabbing and wading in the bay, nature walks and bird watching, and sand sculptures on the beach. - I didn't take a single picture!
It feels invasive almost to pull out my camera and take pictures in some of the best moments. Sometimes the best moments are those that you are entirely lost in the moment. Ones that are too precious and too wonderful to capture on camera.
I am so grateful for all the moments this last week. It has been a special time. I have been loved and felt so loved. And all I can leave you with is a worn out baby picture.
Also, a little public service announcement. Turn off your running water when you go outside to look at sunsets.
As I was washing dishes, I noticed the clouds outside were a brilliant pink and rushed out to my front lawn to get a better look. I left the water running to fill up a pot because I didn't think I would be gone that long... When I returned inside the sink was one inch away from overflowing. It had filled the pot and the whole sink that the pot was in. *shakes head* Don't be like me. Be mesmerized by sunsets; don't flood your kitchen.
Monday, June 19, 2017
God is so much bigger than we can ever comprehend. He is doing big things in our ESL ministry. How do 27 people from 10 churches even want to attend training to help at an ESL program that isn't even held at their church?!?! I am so humbled by the love these other people have for reaching the nations with the gospel.
It has been such a blessing to work with people across denominations to brainstorm ways to broaden and deepen our impact in the international community.
Will you pray with us that God will open wide doors for the advancement of His gospel. Pray that schools will be receptive to passing out literature and that we will be able to meet with the right people. Pray for us as we organize our newly trained staff and merge them with older staff. Pray that we seek His glory above our own and that we will truly love the people He brings to us and seek to build relationships with them that lead to sharing the gospel.
I can't wait to see what the fall (and beyond) holds. Praise Jesus for His amazing provision. He has led us all the way and continues to do so and it is a funny, crazy, sometimes scary ride! I am so thankful for His grace every day.