Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Winter frost and greater beauty

Does anyone else remember their windows looking like this as a child? I remember looking at it while I lay in my bed and thinking about how beautiful it was. 

I hadn't really seen frost on Windows again until we moved into this old house with old windows. And once again I pause to look at it and think it is beautiful. What an amazing world God created.   

Something that hits me as an adult is how fleeting these displays of beauty are.  Maybe that comes with life experience. As a child I don't remember ever thinking, "this will be gone soon and will never happen again." The older I get the more and more I have thoughts like these. I see a sunset or sunrise and I pause a little bit longer because I realize there will never be another one that looks quite the same. I stop to drink in just a little more beauty. These things produce longings in me for beauty that lasts and is permanent.  I guess it is longing for heaven. Tastes of something greater. Pointers to the most beauty. Small reminders to not focus on this world because it is passing away. To look beyond the here and now to my eternity that is secure in that glorious city. 

Praise God for beauty and may it point me continually to the greatest beauty. 

2 comments:

  1. First, that frost is so beautiful! I'm so glad you could take a picture and share it.

    Second, I was reading Matthew with Isaac last night and got to the part about "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" and it made me think of your blog post about the frost. I thought about how God even cares about clothing the windows with frost, and that is here for even less time than the grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. It is even shorter lived then grass. It is gone in an hour or two once the sun comes up. I guess Jesus didn't mention it because the people of Isreal probably didn't have double paned old glass windows in the dessert. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?