Thursday, January 04, 2018

Something Good?

A new blog series! 

Since I keep forgetting to update my list of books that I read, I've decided to just post them as I finish them. Maybe I will make a few comments about each one. Maybe just a picture. 

And I'll comment about books that I start and don't finish and ones that I only read parts of (often I have to do that for a Bible study or Sunday school class). If I read over half the book, I'll be counting it towards my reading total.  But over the last year I've realized that life is too short to read bad books (note that this doesn't mean hard books - hard books are ones that I just read really slowly). 

I'll try to post page numbers too. I'd like to see how many actual pages I read each year. 

This is the start of year four of reading straight through the Bible (I started in November and hope to be done by June again). I'm super excited to say that I'm looking forward to rereading my favorite passages (hello, old friends) and gaining new insight into not-as-favorite sections. I'm reading a commentary on Matthew (by David Platt) and I spent much of the fall reading the minor prophets on repeat. And I have to say, I'm kind of loving the minor prophets right now. I've always skimmed over them before, but I'm looking forward to seeing them again. There is so much in there of God's mercy and love for his people. 

And I want to read more commentaries. So, if you have any suggestions, please send them my way (comments very welcome!!). I am sort of leaning towards the Hebrews commentary by Al Mohler since it topped Desiring God's books of the year for 2017. But I'd love to do a minor prophets or several. So anything. Comment away!! 

Happy snow day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?