Thursday, September 28, 2017

Apple Pie for School

Now three of us are battling this never-ending, slow-moving cold. So we haven't done much this week. But I did plan a few school lessons. This week was themed around this children's book, which I had never read before. It is cute. A girl wants to bake an apple pie, but the market is closed. So she packs her bags and travels the world collecting the ingredients for a pie. There are lots of repeated themes. You can try to spot the ingredients in each picture as she carries them from place to place. There are a lot of birds and cats and dogs in the pictures to count. I like books that provoke discussions. 

I picked this book because we had some apples left over from picking a few weeks ago (and we probably would have gone again this week if they had better varieties to pick from right now - they just had yellow delicious, which I'm not a huge fan of eating or baking). 

And of course I couldn't make the simple recipe in the back of the book. I had to use America's Test Kitchen's versions (I mixed their regular apple pie and Dutch apple pie recipes and cut down the sugar). I might have also made their German Apple Pancake for breakfast and we ate the leftovers for lunch. Apples all the time!  As you can tell we are obsessed with fresh fruit around here and take full advantage of fruit seasons (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apples!!!!!!). 

We can't wait to cut into the pie once it cools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?