Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Blueberries and Bugs (Luna Moth)

It's that time of year!! 

This is the second trip to pick blueberries already! It is shaping to be a much better blueberry than strawberry season. Hooray! 

Yesterday, we caught this guy crossing the road in front of our house. It was identified as a Luna Moth caterpillar, which eats 2-3 leaves a day.  I thought it would be so much fun more the boys to watch. I stuck him in a jar and told the boys how we would build a habitat for him the next day. 

However, the caterpillar had other plans. Around 8pm last night he started spinning his cacoon in his temporary jar home. I jumped up and ran over to my parents for a branch from the host tree (did you know each butterfly and moth has host trees? They will only lay eggs, egg, and build a cacoon on those trees.). 

I stayed up way too late watching the caterpillar pull leaves around himself. I finally went to bed at midnight. I missed the big show where he spins the actual cocoon. Oh well. 

Here is what I found 6 hours later. And in 21 days we should have our own Luna Moth. I'm thinking of mounting it in the schoolroom. I was going to let it go, but then I read that they only live for a week (they don't have a moth or digestive system - so crazy). I can't decide. 

Warren was very disappointed that the caterpillar was gone. It was the first thing he asked about when he woke up this morning. Here's to many more "pets". I'm thinking of calling this one Luni (loony). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?