Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Book Update

I have been doing a lot of reading in June (5 books) and July (4 books so far).  Jared has been fighting a virus and has been super tired recently.  This has left me with lots of reading time. I have updated my list here

Since, six out of the last nine books I have read have been Biblical based, I have noticed something about reading. It influences the way I think about life. It reminds me of that verse (1 Cor 15:33), "bad company corrupts good character." The reverse is also true. Good company builds up good character.  And that is the way it is with a good book. 

I think that is why I tend to read mostly non-fiction. I don't find a lot of fiction helpful it developing my world view (as much as I love Sherlock Holmes, he isn't teaching me anything about Godliness).  There are books out there that can influence you positively, that are fiction, but my brain doesn't find the hidden truths in books well.  I need books that just tell me how it is.  :)  

I have more to say about this, but the words aren't coming right now.  I just want to encourage you to keep reading good books. God definitely uses them in our lives. 

I also encourage you to read hard books for your devotions, as suggested by C.S. Lewis (here). I just finished Future Grace by Piper. At first when I tried to read it, I found it was too much to read straight through it, but when I switched it over to my devotions and only read a chapter or part of a chapter, it was much easier to digest, understand, and apply.  I am looking forward to digging into some Puritans and Packer in the next few months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?