Friday, January 08, 2016

Wise Living

Ephesians 5:15-17
"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise, but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."

I think a lot about this. If you were to go back to old blog posts from when I was in college, you would probably see that I was wrestling with the same thing back then. What is the will of God for my life? What does He want me to be doing? The phrase, "making the best use of time..." sticks out to me. What is the best use of my time? 

I know that being a Godly wife and mother is a wise use of my time. But what about all those free moments that I have? Do I spend time reading books or watching movies? Do I browse websites? Do I do craft projects? Are those to the glory of God or does it mean something more? I know there is a balance, but I am still struggling with what that balance is. How do I honor God with my free time? Should it be free time or should I fill it with some worthwhile cause?

Every year I struggle with the question (because the Chemistry department asks), should I teach more college classes? In all honestly, I love teaching. It makes ME feel important. But is that what life is about? Is it about me feeling important? Each year I come back to asking, "is the best use of my time?" And each year, so far, I have decided that I can use my time more wisely for His kingdom in another way. I feel like all the grading and class prep (as much fun as it would be) would take away time that I could use for other things (ESL prep, Bible study prep, making meals for people, etc.). It would also be too ME centered. I would become to absorbed in Faith the college professor and fail to be Faith the imitator of Christ (Eph 5:1). 

I don't really know the point of this post... I will probably explore this topic some more in the coming months. I have been thinking a lot about it recently. What does wise living look like? I know I am not doing enough of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?