Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Cranberry Sauce

My mom asked me to make the cranberry sauce for thanksgiving because she said her sauce didn't turn out right last year. I am sure her sauce was wonderful, but since I am not doing much else, I thought I could do this because it is easy.  Most of the time, things just taste better if other people make them. I am following the America's Test Kitchen recipe (of course) instead of the recipe on the back of the bag. 

The changes they suggest are to decrease the water, add a bit of salt, and pick through the berries to remove the unripe berries.  I made this tonight because they said it could be refrigerated for up to a week. I will let you know how it turns out and post a picture, maybe. 

Cranberry Sauce
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
12 oz. cranberries, I used a few extra handfuls

Pick over the cranberries and throw away any unripe or rotten berries.  

Bring water, sugar and salt to boil over medium heat. I was changing the babies diaper and the mixture was boiling when I came back. I am not sure how long it boiled for. 

Add cranberries and simmer until slightly thickened and two-thirds of berries have burst. This should take about 10 minutes. Honestly, I have no idea what two-thirds of the berries look like because once they start bursting it changes the way the amounts look. So I just set my timer for ten minutes. 

Cool completely for at least 1 hour.  


I will post recipes for cornbread dressing and my sweet potato pie soon. Ps. I am cheating and I bought a pie crust this year. Gasp. When you have a non-yet-four-week-old baby, you pick your battles. The filling is so much more important!! I don't even like pie crust. I usually pick them off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?