Wednesday, September 24, 2014

White Chicken Chili


I made this recipe up (because I was missing half the ingredients of the recipe I wanted to follow) in honor of the first day of fall and because I am still recovering from a cold and wanted soup. It was delicious. 

2 onions
2 jalapeƱos
1 red pepper
2-3 garlic cloves
3-4 tsp cumin

3-4 cups chicken broth
1-2 chicken breasts
3 cans cannelloni beans
Corn

1. I browned the chicken breasts in a pan with some olive oil and salt a pepper. Then I diced it up. But if I had had bone in chicken breast or thighs I would have boiled them, made stock, and added the chicken shredded. 

2. I heated some vegetable oil in a pan and added the diced onions and peppers. Once they softened and started to brown, I added the garlic and cumin for about 30 seconds. Then i added all but one cup of the chicken broth, the two cans of beans, and some corn (I just shook some in from a bag if frozen corn). 

The extra cup of stock and the third can of beans I blended up until smooth in my food processor and then added that to the soup. 

3. Simmer for 1-3 hours. Eat with chips, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, etc. 


Today, my parents graciously took Martin, for the morning, so I could get a few things finished around the house. He was very excited to see "nanad" and "mama". I made 10 more quarts of applesauce (it took 2 hours), emptied my trash cans, dusted, washed diapers, graded labs (no funny answers this week), straightened my living room, sorted through piles of old magazines and threw most of them away, and put about 300 photos into albums (real photos, the ones you can hold in your hand and take out and look at without a power supply). 

Oh, and I have had the windows open all day. It is glorious. I love this weather. My house smells so clean and fresh and I haven't even started really cleaning it (ie vacuuming and wiping down things). 

I am off to put away a few loads of laundry and wipe down some counters and my kitchen table. I am so thankful to be feeling better. Praise God for health. Pregnancy colds seem to last so much longer.  I actually slept for two 3 hour periods last night, which might be why I have energy today. :) For the last week I have been waking up almost EVERY hour. Ugh. 

Speaking of pregnancy. I was 33 weeks on Sunday. I took this picture on the way out to lab on Monday. You can see about half my apples sitting in that bin and bag. They are all now a giant pot of applesauce. Woohoo. FYI: I kept them by the front door so the fruit flies didn't invade my kitchen. It seemed to work. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?