Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Easy Crockpot Shredded BBQ Chicken

I made this for dinner last night with Mac and cheese, acorn squash, and salads. I eat mine plain. Jared puts his on bread. I made it in hopes that the leftovers would be a good lunch meat for Jared. I hate paying $6 or $7 for lunchmeat at the deli. It is pretty much amazing, as all ATK recipes.  

Okay, some notes about the recipe:
1. The original recipe calls for a mixture of boneless, skinless thighs and breasts. I bought a bunch of chicken breast with skin and bones on super clearance at the grocery store. That is what I used and it turned out delicious. I just fished them out at the end and pulled off the skin and the bones. It was slightly more work, but I believe the skin and bones gave the breast meat more flavor. All that to say, use whatever you have. 
2. I made a double batch and frozen some of it for later after the baby is born. I fit 6 breasts in my crockpot (I think it is a 6 quart). I give you the recipe for a single recipe. 
3. I didn't have enough bbq sauce for a double batch, but I still think it is delicious. 

Shredded BBQ Chicken
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 
3 pounds chicken
1-1/2 c bbq sauce 

1. Put chicken in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle on spices. Pour on 1/2 to 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce. I used a bit of water too because I was trying to get all te BBQ sauce out of the jar. 

2. Cook for 4-6 hours on low. 

3. Take chicken out and shredded with a fork. Strain juice in bottom of crockpot. Mix 1 cup juice with remaining BBQ sauce and chicken. 


4 comments:

  1. I just have to update that I have eaten this three days in a row and sent it in Jared's lunches this week. I love this recipe. I ended up taking this as a meal to a family in our church who just had a baby. Thus, I didn't freeze any. I will definitely make this again. It is super super easy and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this going in the crockpot! Will let you know how it turns out. I plan on doing some bread in the bread machine this afternoon and we have some frozen veggies and salad to go with. I'm having trouble with not going to the grocery store for things I run out of (veggies for our salads) since we are trying to keep Elza, healthy! Working on my meal plans and list for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this is amazing! Will for sure be making this again and hopefully freezing some for a quick meal! It's got a little kick to it that the boys aren't fond of BUT... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad someone else thinks it is delicious and easy!! I just love the simplicity of it. Definitely a make ahead and throw in the freezer for later meal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?