Sunday, June 08, 2014

Wedding Cake

Happy fifth anniversary, Jared... In one month and one day. It has been an amazing five years. 
Photo by my friend Becca from college

Sunday I made my wedding cake recipe. I ran short of cream and so the icing was a simple cream cheese frosting instead of having the whipped cream folded into it, but it was still good. 

Toppings of butterfingers and peanuts

The ganoche was a bit on the soft side. Our wedding cake had a more fudgy consistency, but this was still good. I will have to okay with it to find out what I did wrong. 

Copy of recipe of my wedding cake from Jared's mother. :) We also served peach cobbler (Jared's favorite) and brownies (for the kids). 

Cake Ingredients
10 T butter
1/2 c. Peanut butter
2 c. Brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 c. Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. Buttermilk

Icing ingredients
12 oz. cream cheese
6 T butter 
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. Powdered sugar, divided
3/4 c. Heavy whipping cream
2 butterfingers
1/3 c. Chopped honey roasted peanuts or regular peanuts

Ganoche ingredients
2-1/4 c. Heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. Brown sugar
12 oz bittersweet or semisweet chopped chocolate
1/2 c. Peanut butter

Hint: make the ganoche first so it has time to cook down and set while the cake is cooking and cooling. 

For ganoche filling: bring cream and sugar to boil.  Boil 1-2 minutes until sugar is disolved. Pour over chocolate and peanut butter. Chill until mixture achieve a spreadable consistency. 

For cakes: Grease and flour three 9" round pans. 

Cream butter, peanut butter, and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Combine  dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternatively with buttermilk. 

Pour into pans and bake at 350' for 17-20 minutes (I pulled mine out at 24 minutes because I was afraid of burning them and they ended up being a bit undercooked - I think my oven is cooler than most). Cool for 10 minutes and remove to wire rack. 

For icing: beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Add vanilla. Beat in 1-1/4 c. Powdered sugar until light and fluffy. In seperate bowl beat cream and remaining powdered sugar until stuff peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture. 

For cake assembly: if cakes are uneven, take a break knife and slice off some of the top (if pieces if cake stuck to your pan, you can use these extra pieces to fill in any holes, trust me, it works great and in makes the surfaces of the cakes smoother). Spread chocolate filling between cake layers (I put mine on top too). Frost top and sides. Sprinkle with crushed butterfingers and chopped peanuts. 

Enjoy. 

 
Photo by my Dad (it is one of my favorites.  I love that we are all laughing). 

Photo credit Anna. I have this blown up in color on a canvas in my sewing room. I loved my wedding do much. It was a giant party/picnic in my backyard. I loved that everyone came casually dressed and  could relax and play games out in the field. We had ladder ball, volleyball, soccer, corn hole, and an obstacle bounce house for the kids (and adults). We also had a candy table, which I never even saw. I love my reception. I was able to visit with people that had travelled to my wedding and relax.  It was wonderful. Thank you to everyone that made it special. 

Photo by Anna. This was our first dance. We came down the back porch stairs, danced our first dance, and then ate food!!! We had pulled pork, ham, sweet potato biscuits, fried chicken, etc. It was AMAZING!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?