Monday, April 28, 2014

Maryland Day

Once a year University of Maryland hosts an event that is free to the public. They have over 600 different booths and performances and tours and demonstrations.  I was on campus for three years and I never went.  I really missed out.  My best friend from college, Michelle, and I talk about going every year. We finally did this year. It was a wonderful day!! I can't wait until my kids are older and they can enjoy the activities as well. We are going to have so much fun in about five or seven years.  

We had so much fun that I completely forgot about my camera and didn't take any pictures.  I know, I am so mad at myself.  I did steal a few so that you can see what the day is like.  I highly suggest going. There is so much to do and so many free things.  Ha ha. 

We started off in engineering and looked around at a bunch of exhibits on different things they are researching.  We could have made our own silly putty and paint if we wanted to.  There is also a booth where you can build a Lego bridge and then test it on an earthquake shake table.  We then headed over to the Glenn Martin (of Lockheed Martin fame) wind tunnel where we sustained winds of 30 miles an hour for about five minutes.  Super hilarious and fun and we both wish we had taken pictures. Martin wasn't a big fan. Ha. Michelle and I laughed the whole time because it was so absurd standing in a wind tunnel having our hair and clothes blown around. We didn't look this crazy, but our eyes did get really dry. 


Next we went over to physics and math and the nasa tent where they gave us all sorts of free posters and stickers from NASA.  I can't wait to use them in home school some day. Ha ha.  They also had cannons shooting smoke rings and liquid nitrogen ice cream and the physics of pottery experiments.  We tried to get a pcture of Martin and the noaa mascot (an owl), but he was too scared. He was a little overwhelmed all day.   


We left there and wandered over through a bunch of kid bounce houses and games and past the computer science area.  I tested out my password strength and won a free beach ball and picked up a screen/glass cleaning cloth. 



Next stop the mall. They have so many tents on the mall with all sorts of things. You can fish turtle squeezie toys out if the fountain or watch a show on the main stage (dancing, gymnastics, black belt demo, etc). They have a tent for young children so you can change their diapers and get free water and juice. So much to do.  Free tooth brushes, dress up like a hobbit, take your picture as a magazine cover, build a structure with the architecture program, etc. We bought lunch and ate it while we watched some Jewish dance group. Martin was very entertained.  

We left there and headed to main campus where we stopped by the bookstore to look for some engineering school gear, but they don't sell any. Boo. So we walked around the football stadium and up to the performance art area to catch a Mardi gras parade and a symphony performance.  We caught a 45 minute long symphony performance of video game music. Apparently they were the first campus to have a symphony dedicated to video game music. Weird. I saw the Measiah here when I was in college. It was free.  I wish I had gone to more performances while I was there. They also had an instrument petting zoo and other interactive exhibits. 


After this we headed to the agricultural center and played a bee trivial game to win a plant.  Ha.  They had ice cream samples and a bunch of animal demonstrations all day.  They have a Cow with a window on the side of it so they can watch it digest food. I think I posted a picture on my blog of that many years ago. 

Back to more engineering to see the national buoyancy research lab. They test space equipment here and let astronauts train for outer space.  The tank is three or four stories high. They let you try to drive one of their robots around and pick up space rocks from the bottom of the tank. They also had a booth where you could build a boat and see who had the best design.  



We forgot to go to the fire protection lab and get the tour and we didn't get to race through the laser field either.  Those are on my list for next time.  The fire protection program is the only accredited  fire protection program in the country.  They have a fire tornado that is six feet high and give demos of new sprinkler systems they are working on.  You know you are an engineer when those things sound exciting. Ha ha. Maybe next time. 


We left the campus around 3:00 after doing another half loop around campus. It was such a beautiful day. The weather was perfect.  It was a lovely day and I look forward to going back again.  You should go too. It is only two hours away and completely free.  :) Plus, your kids get hands on experience to try out all sorts of different careers. 

Thanks to Michelle for spending the day with us.  We will take pictures next time we go. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a really fun day. Maybe I can go with you next year.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?