Saturday, April 19, 2014

Baked Cheesy Grits

If you have been down south, you will probably have seen or tried cheesy grits. I have. It is a bowl if slimy grits that has a handful of shredded cheese placed on top. It is gross. This recipe is not like that at all. I made this recipe out of a southern cookbook that a close family friend of the Sheltons gave us for our first anniversary. This recipe is incredible (if you love cheese and ham and deliciousness). 

Notes:
 I have made this with chicken stock and also with just water.  I highly suggest ham stock, but chicken stock can be substituted.  
I use chopped up ham.  The recipe calls for bacon bits. I am sure those would also be good. 
I usually use all cheddar cheese, but this time I made it with half cheddar and half velveeta. It was so creamy. I know, I just admitted using velveeta. I am not snobby enough to admit it was delicious.  I don't think it would be good all velveeta, but half and half seemed perfect. 
I use instant grits. But you can use regular grits. You will have to cook them longer. 

I boiled a ham bone yesterday and made ham stock.  The rest of it is going to be made into Cindy's ham soup next week. All the little bits of ham that fall off are perfect to throw in this recipe. 

Baked Cheesy Grits
1 onion
4 cups ham or chicken broth
1 cup grits
1 cup cheese (all cheddar or mix in some velveeta if you have it)
1/4-1/2 cup of chopped ham bits or bacon bits
1 tsp. black pepper
2 eggs

1. Sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes. 
2. Add in grits, broth, pepper.  Cook 10-20 minutes until grits are cooked. 
3. Take off heat.  Add cheese and ham. Stir until cheese is melted. You can stop and eat them here if you don't want to wait until they are baked.  :) Beat eggs and then add in. Stir fast or they will cook. Some of the egg always cook each time I make this. 
4. Add to a buttered pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes.  

Make these with your leftover ham and hambone this week.  You won't regret it!!!  They are so good. Martin tried his first bite today and he approves.  :) 

I couldn't take a pretty picture of the grits. Instead you can see a picture if a baby that is pleased with himself because he can walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?