Monday, March 03, 2014

Louisiana Beef Stew


It was supposed to snow 4-9 inches today. I love snow. I have had the curtains open all day watching the snowflakes fall. What a perfect day for a cozy, warm bowl of stew or soup. I buy beef when it is on sale and I chop it up into cubes and freeze them in bags that are portioned for one batch of beef stew. I just had to run quickly to the store this morning, around seven, before it was snowing a lot, and pick up a green pepper. 

I decided to make a beef stew from  my best friend's husband, who is from New Orleans. When we went visit them he made this for dinner one night. Jared and I both like it better than regular gravy based beef stew.  We serve this over mashed potatoes or rice. I love this recipe because you throw it in the crockpot and four to six hours later dinner is ready.  So easy. 

Today I have also spent putting the finishing steps on a few runner tops and a quilt back. In a bit, i am going to pin them all together and maybe even start quilting them. 

Sneak peak of some of the projects I am trying to finish up. More pictures to come once I finish them. 

Beef stew (in crockpot) 
1 pack brown gravy
3 beef bouillon cubes
6 c. Water
1/2 lb. beef stew browned in creole seasonings
1 onion
1/2 green pepper
3-5 carrots
2 c. Green beans

Roll meat in creole seasoning. Brown meat in vegetable oil. Transfer meat to crockpot with all other ingredients.  Cook four to six hours on medium or high heat. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. 

Did you do anything fun this snow day? I had planned on cleaning off my pantry shelves, but I saved that for another day. It felt like a sewing and cooking kind of day. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?