Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Homemade chicken stock

I am a big fan of homemade chicken stock (because it tastes better, is easy to make, and is free - free stuff always makes me happy). I started buying the bone in chicken breasts and thighs. If I need them boneless for a recipe, I debone them myself and throw the bones and skin in a pot to make stock. Most of the time though I simply boil my chicken and then pull the meat off.  

Stock recipe: Just throw in some onion, celery, pepper, salt, garlic, and carrots (or some combination of those - I throw in the tops of my celery bunch and onion skins that I have saved sometimes).  Boil all of that for one to three hours depending on how much chicken you are cooking. Sometimes I throw a whole chicken in the pot. Pour the stock into containers (I use mason jars) and refrigerate. Once they have cooled completely the fat will gather at the top. You can scrape this off and throw it away or use it for dumplings or biscuits or chicken pot pie crust. Yum!! 


I included a picture of some homemade stock, yogurt, and granola that I made last week. Mr. B. loves yogurt. It costs less than half the price to make your own yogurt. Homemade granola is also less than half the cost of store bought granola and so much healthier without the extra oils and sugar and additives.  

So there are some frugal tips for the week. :) Do you have any simple ways you cut costs in your grocery bill? Does anyone use vinegar and baking soda to clean? I am thinking about starting and would love some tips. 

P.s. Happy birthday to my mother!! We love you and are so blessed to have you as a mom and grandma. Thanks for loving us so much. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh good, I visit your blog almost every day and see nothing new and so I am glad that you are updating again. :)

    Is it hard to make yogurt? I make granola but I always buy the yogurt and I've been a bit hesitant to try making my own.

    You should make this bread soon, it's one of our favorites: http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal-homemaking/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried posting three times now. Maybe now it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray. It worked.

    I am so glad someone is commenting on my blog. I would still have fun writing even if no one was reading it but comments are more fun.

    Yogurt is pretty easy. I am working on a post about it. I might make it tomorrow. If I do, I will take pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?