Monday, February 17, 2014

Flags


As I also mention, i helped with a baby shower and a wedding. The baby shower (a tea party which allowed me the chance to make French macaroons and petits fours) was for a dear friend who is having a girl. I can't wait to have a girl some day. I want to sew dresses and doll clothes and hair bows ... I found my American doll dress patterns the other day (for felicity and Kirsten) and almost started making a dress, which is funny since I never had one of their dolls, but my sister did and I made her doll clothes.  That is an aside. Anyhow, I look forward to having a daughter someday, yet in the meantime I will have to enjoy my friends' daughters. 

All of that to say that I made little flags for the baby shower. They were pink and purple and I failed to take a picture of them. I also made another set for another friend out of seersucker. I was asked to make some more for the wedding. So I went out and bought eight different blue fabrics and set about to making eight different little flag banners. I really like the way they turned out. The "theme" of the wedding was vintage and the bride loves shades of blue. 

She picked cornflower blue, which is the blue of my KitchenAid mixer and makes me extraordinarily happy. It brightens up my already cheery kitchen. I use it almost daily. I even have an extra mixing bowl which i use during times of heavy baking and cooking.  I highly suggest it if you plan on making a cake while your bread rises or don't feel like washing out the bowl and need to make icing for your cake. Oh, and I love that the bowls can go in the dishwasher. 

Do you have a KitchAid mixer? What color is it? Is there any kitchen tool you use or value more? Dishwasher and ovens don't count. :) 

P.S. Have you seen the glass bowls that they now sell for the stand KitchenAid? If I didn't already have two bowls, I would have to save for one of those. Also, if you have see the mixing paddle with the spatula attached, skip it. I have it and it spreads a thin coat of the wet ingredients along the bowl and you end up having to scrape down the sides. 





6 comments:

  1. I love the flags. This makes me want to get my sewing machine out and make some things!

    I love my kitchenaid mixer (blue willow!) but if I had to choose a favorite kitchen tool, I would have to go with my dutch over. I use it all the time, and it is perfect for making soups, baked poultry, applesauce, and bread.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I don't think I fully realize the potential of my Dutch oven. You will have to give me some tips. I used it today to make German potato soup ( suggested by mrs. Hall in that cookbook she have each of us). That was before I realize it was really warm outside. Have you tried the oatmeal bread in that cookbook? It is amazing.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I want to make some more bunting! I love the colors you picked. Also, I was looking through that cookbook the other day. I didn't end up making anything. However, now I am feeling inspired by all your tasty looking meals!
    - Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do, I do!!! I read your blog and enjoy it immensely! I'm so glad you're posting again.

    And those cute purple-pink flags are soooo adorable - you're more than welcome to take a picture of them before or after we put them on our wall. You're so talented, I'm so honored to have such a sweet reminder on our walls, they bring a smile to my face every time I look at them.

    And yes, way to go with the chicken stock. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does it. I should do it more though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, I was going to call them bunting, but I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. I am glad you do. Whenever you have a baby I will make you a set to take to the hospital. Don't you think they would dress up those dreary rooms?

    Dasha, I am so glad to see you commented too. I used to love your blog. Maybe after the baby and you are settled in your house you can post. It would be interesting to post some before and after pictures of your house or some reports on any new updates to it. Ps. I can't wait to see the new baby's room. I bet it will be adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?