Monday, October 14, 2013

Banana Pudding

Banana Pudding
(A really quick and delicious) dessert
 
I always keep vanilla wafers and bananas around for this simple recipe (and because I enjoy snaking on both of them).  Sometimes, when I am craving pudding, I whip the pudding part of this recipe together and eat it.
 
Ingredients:
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
dash salt
4 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

6 to 8 ripe bananas
3 dozen vanilla wafers
 
4 egg whites
6 T sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 
In a saucepan, mix sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks, and milk.  Mix well.  Cook until mixture thickens.  Stir frequently (if you are not going to stir frequently, I suggest using a double boiler, I find it takes longer and is more work to clean).  Once the mixture thickens, remove from heat and add vanilla.
 
In a loaf pan, make layers of cooked custard, sliced bananas, and finally vanilla wafers.  Create three layers of each or more if your pan and ingredients permit (I have done 2 layers before when I was low on vanilla wafers).
 
Beat egg whites until frothy and then add the cream of tartar.  Beat until the whites stand in soft peaks that fall over when the beater is removed.  Continue to beat the egg whites, added one T of sugar at a time (I just measure each tablespoon and throw it in, I don't wait between scoops). Lastly, add the vanilla.

Spread the meringue over the pudding.  Make sure to cover the edges of the pan.  Bake for 15 minute or until meringue is slightly brown.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?