Saturday, September 29, 2012

Favorite Oatmeal Cinnamon Whole Wheat Bread


This is one of Jared and my favorite recipes!!  I am sure it would be even better if I didn't substitute applesauce for the shortning.  :)

Ingredients:
4-1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1-1/2 c. quick cooking oats
1-2/3 c. warm milk
1/2 c. applesauce (or shortning)
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
5 - 5-1/2 c. flour (whole wheat or white - I use whole wheat)

Swirl ingredients:
2/3 c. sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
handfuls of raisins (optional)

1. Dissove yeast in water.  Add oats, milk, applesauce, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, salt, and 2 cups flour.  Mix 3 minutes.  Add enough flour to make a soft dough.  Again, I do air on the side of softer doughs so that they rise properly.  Also, I don't knead my dough or use the bread hook.  I just use the paddle attachment on the kitchenaid and let it run a little longer.  I also do not put in a greased bowl.  I leave it in the kitchenaid bowl and cover with a wet dishcloth.

2. Rise 1 hour.

3. Punch down.  Divide in half.  Roll 16x8.  I use a cookie sheet with a lip for this part so that I do not get flour all over my counter.  Sprinkle with water.  Sprinkle half the swirl mixture.  I also add raisins at this point.  I just sprinkle a bunch on top of the sugar mixture.  

4.  Roll jelly roll style.  Pinch to seal (I sort of do this).  Make sure to place the seam at the bottom of the pan.   Place rolled up dough, seam down, in a greased bread pan. 

5. Cover and let rise for 30 - 45 minutes. 

6. Bake at 350 for 35 - 45 minutes. 

7. Leave in pan for a few minutes when it comes out of the oven.  

8.  Cool on wire rack. 

9. Slice and enjoy.  

I love the way a cut loaf looks. 

Jared and I love to toast this with butter.  Since this recipe makes two loaves, we usually slice both loaves and freeze most of the slices.  They are easy to pull out of the freezer and throw in the toaster to heat up.  Yum yum yum.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?