Saturday, September 29, 2012

English Muffins

I originally found this recipe here:
The Frugal Girl (includes lots of pictures with each step)


These are so simple (and in the summer you don't have to even warm up the oven).  I try to keep a bag of them in my freezer to grab on my way to work.  I love them fork-split and toasted with honey and butter.  Yum!!  I keep meaning to make the cinnamon raisin version, but I stick with the whole wheat each time. Someday.

Ingredients:

1 c. warm water
2-1/2 tsp yeast
1 c. warm milk
2 T. sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
3 T butter
5 cups flour (white or whole wheat, I use whole wheat)

I put everything in the kitchen aid mixer and stir it up. I am not a fan of multiple dirty bowls.

1. First, I add the yeast and water.

2. Then I mix in the milk, sugar, salt, and butter.  The water and milk are somewhere between 100 - 115 degrees.

3. I don't hand knead my dough, I just mix it in the mixer for a little bit longer. Add the flour until the dough is still a bit wet. Dry dough is the enemy of rising.  Thus, I usually air on the side of softer, stickier dough and add flour when I roll it out to prevent sticking.

4. Rise 1 hour.

5. Punch down let rest 10 min. on surface sprinkled with corn meal.

6. Roll out dough to 1/2" thichness

7. Cut out with 3" biscuit cutter and place on ungreased baking sheet.



8. Cover with dry towel. Let rise 30 min - 1 hour

9. Warm up griddle or pan to medium (I use 4 on my stove) heat.   I have also cooked these on a pizza stone in the oven so that I can cook more at one time.

10. Gently place each muffin in pan.

11. Cook 5 -10 minutes on each side, depending on heat (I find they cook faster and the second side takes a much shorter time).

12. Cool on wire rack.

13. Split with fork, enjoy with honey!! (my favorite)

Or homemade blueberry jam...

3 comments:

  1. how many muffins does this recipe make? I just got some whole wheat flour and have been looking for something else to make besides bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made 30, but some of them were sort of thin (so probably 24ish). Try out the cinnamon raisin bread also!! It makes two loaves, so you could always half it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to make the cinnamon raisin bread too, but I don't have all the ingredients on hand, so I'll have to save that one for after a trip to the store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?