Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fresh food!!!

My parents have invited us over 3 times in the last week for yummy food out of their garden. :)  Do you know how happy this makes me?!?  I love food from the garden.  

The first night we went over for corn and green beans, but the corn was not quite ready (we each ate one tiny little ear). The second night we at green beans and made homemade peach and strawberry ice cream.  The third night, last night, we had all you could eat corn and green beans.  My mother also made cauliflower and cheese and ribs.  Cauliflower is one of my favorite foods; it is one of the only foods that Jared does not eat.  So, when I have it at other people's houses, I am happy.

I had half a rib last night. The rest of what I ate was green beans (cooked with bacon, of course), corn, and cauliflower and cheese. I have listed two (simple) recipes below for my benefit so that I can look them up whenever I need to. Green beans from the garden are in my top 5 foods of all times list.  I would pass by a bunch of other foods to have a bowl of green beans cooked with bacon.  Yum yum yum.

Green Beans with Bacon
Fry bacon in pan
Add green beans
Add water to cover
Cook until not quite limp
Drain water and serve

Cauliflower
Put a 1/2 - 1" water in a pan
Cut up cauliflower head
Sprinkle a bit of salt
Cook until finished

Thanks to my parents for WONDERFUL food and for cooking for us!  It was fun to spend the evening with my family. They are my favorite people (especially when they cook for me).  My Dad sent me home with potatoes, green beans, squash, and cucumbers from the garden.  And my mom packed up the leftovers so that I could eat green beans and corn for my lunch today!!!!!!  I was looking forward to my lunch ALL DAY TODAY!!

We also spent Monday night at the Shelton's with more good food and family time with our niece and nephews.  We played Tornado Rex and Blockus with the kids.  Bright and I won blockus and Krue and I came in second in Tornado Rex.  It is always fun to see my niece and nephews.  They are hilarious.  My parents-in-law loaded us down with fresh peaches and a new garden hose when we left the house. 

I love having family live so close by.  It is great fun to see them all so often.  I am so thankful that both sets of our parents live close by.  We really enjoy visiting them (and having them cook for us) often.  :)  Praise God for family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?