Tuesday, February 21, 2012

So, while I was visiting Stephanie, I learned something about myself.  I keep a grocery store stocked in my house.  Until I visited Stef's bare shelves and empty refrigerator, I had never noticed this about myself before.  I mentioned this new revelation to Jared and he said, "uh, yeah, you do".  

See, I like to have everything on hand to be able to make whatever might pop into my little head to make.  I love to be prepared.  I never thought this was weird until I noticed other people's lack of groceries in their pantry.  It started me thinking about why I have 4 containers of oatmeal (2 of which will turn into granola this weekend) or 4 large cans of kidney beans (2 of which will be in chili next week).  I realized that I hate starting to make something and realizing that I am missing an ingredient.  I also like to be able to run to the store most weeks and buy, milk, yogurt, lunch meat, carrots, and bread (for Jared's lunches). I don't like huge shopping trips.  I like one big splurge to stock up (about once a month) and then to coast through my supplies until then.  

Does anyone else do this?  

4 comments:

  1. there are some things I should ALWAYS have like butter, eggs, artichoke hearts, milk, cream of wheat, diced tomatos. But for the most part I don't have a whole lot in the house usually - what's in the house is what was on my grocery list which is all carefully accounted for a recipe. Like, "ben don't be eating that it's for a recipe!!!" I buy for recipes on my list. then I run out of meals and go shopping again. Alot of the stuff i buy is perishable though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half½coffee(if I've been on vacation whoever is in the house will text me if these items are low cuz they know I don't want to start my day w/o these two things).

    Tomato sauce is always on my shelf with pasta-spaghetti is a "go-to" dinner.

    My pantry is pretty full but probably with weirdo stuff-like horseradish;dijon mustard;Frank's hot sauce.Stuff I would normally forget on my grocery list.

    I don't run out of Bill's breakfast either if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely butter, eggs, milk, oatmeal (quick and regular), almonds, pecans, flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, coffee, tea, diced tomatoes, raisins, crasins, peanuts, peanut butter, graham crackers, black beans... the list goes on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to always have certain things in my cabinet, but it took a little while to get to that point. Like Aunt Suzanne, I always try to have spaghetti and tomato sauce in my cupboards becaue it is an easy meal to fix. Also, Andrew and I love stir fry, so I try to keep at least one bottle of stir fry sauce, little baby corns, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots in my cabinets just in case we get the craving. Ha ha. Andrew really likes onions in things, so we always have onions, peppers, and tomatoes in the fridge. Eggs, cheese and milk too.

    I used to always have a box of brownies or something sweet in my cabinet for when I got a craving for a fast, sweet treat. But, then I kept making them and eating them. So, I stopped stocking up on them. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?