Monday, February 06, 2012

One of the benefits of rarely drinking coffee or anything caffeinated, is that when you drink caffeine, it REALLY wakes you up.  While in Dallas, I had less sleep than I am used to. The day after my flight, which was delayed (and I only had 5.5 hours of sleep), and the day after that, when I went to the Mavericks game (and only had 6 hours of sleep) I was super tired.  I know, it is partly my fault because I wake up early to go to the gym, I could have slept in for another hours, but I really enjoy working out at the hotel gym.  On Monday I did not drink coffee, but on Tuesday I ventured out to find a Starbucks (I don't like their regular coffee - I think it tastes burnt) and buy a frap. 


Lunch Tuesday:
Rudy's Barbque (2/5 stars - I just don't enjoy it)
* I think their food tastes WAY too smoky!  I am not a big fan. I have had it twice now. 
* This is the interesting thing about them.  They don't serve you with plates.  They throw your entire order into a big black basket and slap a pile of white bread on top.  I am not sure how I feel about this. Of all the restaurants so far in Texas, I would rank this near the bottom, just because the flavors are so overpowered by the flavor of smoke and spicy barbque sauce (optional, but better than the smoky taste).




Dinner: Jimmy's Catfish (5/5 stars)
Okay imagine this place at dark, in the rain on a long dark creepy road (full of little businesses that look like drug fronts and family dollars)...Also, your group has left you and gone shopping (shopping... really? and you don't want to eat dinner until 8:30 (9:30 EST)... really? I am hopefully in bed by then).   
Again, imagine it was a dark and stormy night...


It was a dark and stormy night and this food came back to my hotel room with me... Left to right: stuffed jalapenos, red beans and rice, catfish fillets the size of twice my hands, fries, and hush puppies.  Stuffed jalapenos: perfection.  They melted in my mouth.  Just the perfect amount of spiciness.  Red beans and rice was delicious, nothing special... it was red beans and rice (I am not sure if it could ever be special...).  Catfish: perfectly fried in cornmeal, curling up on the edges and falling apart when you bit into it.  This food makes my mouth very happy.  It is really a good thing that I don't live down south.  I think I would be twice the size I am today.  I gave this place 5/5 stars because it was everything I expected it to be.  It isn't grand dining, but that is not what it advertises to be.  I thoroughly enjoyed my meal here.  

Thanks to my dear company for paying me to eat good food. 
P.S. I think you guys should pay me for all the money I am saving you on my meals.  All this food for $12?!? Everyone else is spending $30-$40 on food. :) I am just saying... you should think about it.

 YAY, for caffeine and good food!!


Question: Do you have a favorite way to wake up when you don't get enough sleep?  When was the last time you didn't have enough sleep? 


I would have to say that it has been several years, probably since college that I have had little sleep and had to concentrate.  All you mothers out there are probably thinking, "just you wait until you have kids".  Sleep has always been very important to me.  I never pulled an all-nighter at school; it just wasn't worth it to me.  I stayed up until 2am once to finish a project, but only because it was a team project and everyone else had not done their parts and I needed to make sure they finished them in time.  I usually went to bed around 10 when I was in school.  I guess I have always been pretty boring.

1 comment:

  1. Yum catfish!


    I like to drink about 1/4 of a mug of coffee with some cream every morning before work. It just tastes delicious and keeps me going.

    I am really bad at self discipline so I usually let my desire to spend time with my husband get in the way of a good night's sleep. Ben usually gets home from work at about 8pm...so I usually like to spend a few hours with him. That usually means an average of 4 or 5 hours of sleep. Oh man in December I was averaging 3-4 hours of sleep all month long. I felt so ill and had a serious head ache all the time. I LOVE sleep. Also, I'm the kind of person who got 10+ hours of sleep per night in years past. I've actually been so surprised at how much I can do on how little sleep.

    At work I just kick into high gear and usually don't even notice I am tired until I am driving home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?