Wednesday, November 02, 2011

3 meals from some super cheap chicken

Prep:
I bought a pack of chicken thighs for really cheap this week and didn't have time to do anything with them by the time they expired (they were cheap because they needed to be used that day - $0.75/lb - 10 thight for $4.30).  So I boiled them down with onions, parsley, and celery for a couple hours.  Then I picked the chicken off the bone and strained the juice to make chicken broth (homemade chicken broth is the best).  I chilled the chicken broth and them skimmed off the fat once it had hardened. 

Meal 1: Chicken and dumplings with biscuits
Used - chicken fat, chicken broth, chicken
From the chicken fat I made biscuits and dumplings.  Then I used some of the chicken broth and chicken to make chicken and dumplings.

Meal 2: Chicken Pot Pie
Use - chicken broth, chicken, and rest of dumpling dough (for crust)

Meal 3: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Use - chicken broth and chicken
Throw the following ingredients into a pot and let them cook down for an hour or so.
Ingredients
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 can crushed tomatoes (or equivalent chopped up tomatoes and tomato juice or some combination - I use whatever I have)
1-1/2 cup chicken broth (the recipe calls for 1 can condensed chicken broth and 1-1/4 cup water - again, use whatever you have on hand)
1 cup corn (I have used canned and frozen)
1 can black beans (drained)

I serve this with rice (sometimes), tortilla chips (UTZ yellow corn rounds are the best), cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

(the basic recipe came from Rachel Townsend, I had it at her house two Halloweens ago.  I have made a few minor substitutions because of what I have on hand)

So that is what I have cooking this week.  We had the chicken and dumplings on Saturday and Sunday.  Last night I did not cook dinner.  The soup should last us two or three days and I will break those days up by cooking the chicken pot pie.  Yum.   Jared and I love chicken.  And I still have some chicken broth left!! :)  I am thinking maybe cheese soup this weekend sometime... maybe.

2 comments:

  1. So... I need to know how you do your chicken and dumplings and chicken pot pie! Pretty pretty please :->

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?