Thursday, October 13, 2011

thankful day 13


Source: Fingerpost

Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.
-Benjamin Franklin

So I read this little quote over at Fingerpost, and if you don't read Fingerpost then you are missing out each day at a fun little phase or saying, and it made me think. Let me start out by saying, I am a saver. I would probably dumpster dive and wear the same clothes for the rest of my life if it weren't for Jared. My siblings laugh at my frugal ways. Jared spends money. I am not saying this is bad and in some cases it is actually good, but it is different. Example: Jared and I are on vacation and we grab lunch at a fast food restaurant somewhere. I quickly locate one of the cheapest items on the menu and either get a free water or go drinkless. Jared adds on the chips and a drink with his order. Second example: Jared buys coffee out sometimes; I would never buy a soda or coffee out unless I had a coupon, it got me something else, or I had gone crazy. When I was in college I skipped a lot of meals, not because I didn't have money, but I would rather not spend it on expensive lunches. If I did eat, it was usually something that I had bought in bulk and portioned out to myself. I ate a lot of Frost Mini Wheats and Goldfish. Okay, so you get the picture?


The reason that this quote made me want to write a post was because I have found it to be entirely true and I wanted to share with you something that I have relearned. Jared and I budgeted for the first year or so of our marriage. By that time we both had jobs and we were able to put some in savings (YAY). Over the past year or so, we have both been more free with our money (not all of this is bad, a lunch with my interns, supplies for VBS, dinner for friends, presents for people, quilts and fabric for family and friends...etc). It wasn't like we were throwing it away on bad things, just too many good things. A little here and a little there added up to a lot of little things (as the quote says). This was all well and good until a couple months ago I realize that we spent more than we took in (thanks to Jared's school bill and medical expenses for his thumb, but still, it sort of freaked me out and made me think).

So we sat down and re budgeted our expenses. The funny thing about it is how many times I was spending money without even thinking about it (and I am the saving type). Most of the time I would think, “oh well, it is on sale”. Since being put back on a budget I think about every single thing that I have to buy. It has made me a much better planner. I semi plan our meals (still based on whatever meat is on sale). It was so much easier not to spend money when I made minimum wage (when I was 15), but each year that my hourly rate goes up, the fewer hours it takes to buy that shirt or that bag of sunchips. I remember when I first started shopping (and paying) for my own clothes. I used to consider each article of clothing, “is this worth X number of hours at Chick-Fil-A? In most case, I said no. I am thankful for a budget because it makes me think. I have to think about what I buy. I have to think about where my money goes. I have to think about saving up enough money to do something else and thus, not spending money on another thing. It is good; I haven’t had to do that for a while.

Why is this good? It makes me appreciate the things I have. It makes me look for ways to use up what I have instead of throwing them away and buying something new. It makes giving more rewarding and it makes me communicate with Jared about money more. Lastly, it makes me think about God more.

How does it make giving more rewarding? Instead of buying everything or anything that I could, I have to think ahead and maybe sacrifice some new fabric or something else I wanted so that I have the money to buy a gift. I have to give something up to be able to give to someone else. I am also thankful because it is good practice for the future. Someday I am going to have kids (no not now) and I want to be able to stay home with them. It is challenging me to think of others instead of myself. It is making me think about the money that God has blessed me with and to be careful with what he has given me.

I fully recommend putting yourself on a budget. Maybe it is because of my math brain and the fact that I am saver, but whatever the reason, I actually like being on a budget. It will stretch you and give you opportunities to grow. I have also found it allows Jared and me to talk about our money more. Before, if you had money, you spent it. Now we have to work together to decide what the money will be spent on.

One last thought, no matter what I have in savings or don't have in savings, does not (and should not) make me happy or comfortable. My true source of comfort is with Jesus Christ. He is the only one that can grant ultimate satisfaction and peace in this world. He is the giver of all good gifts. He has blessed me with way more than I could ever ask for. I am grateful for my job and Jared's job. I am grateful that God has let us be stewards of SO much. I hope I can always honor him with what I have (in plenty and in want). I am thankful for a budget that makes me think. I like being made to think. It is too easy to be in autopilot and not notice the world around you.

Today I am thankful for:
* a budget
* my jobs
* the ability to be healthy and be able to work
* the ability to save money for my future family
* my understanding husband
* for my parents who helped pay for my college and who encouraged me to stay in-state to stay out of debt and who brainwashed me into being frugal
* for the grandi-howards who wouldn't let me pay them for room and board and gave me the best house to live it of all my friends at college!!! They are great.
* that I could sell some of my old college books so that they are out of the house
* for my husband that encourages me to keep the house uncluttered and clean (and teaches me how to get rid of things that I will never need)

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?