Friday, November 19, 2010

This weekend I am going to finish a Christmas present that I have been working on (it has turned out better than I thought and it is a good thing that it started out as a Christmas present from the start or I would consider keeping it), start sewing another Christmas present or two or three that I need to make, visit my niece and nephews and make gingerbread cookies with them (and mama Cindy), celebrate my father and sister's birthday (happy birthday to you...), maybe do some more Christmas shopping, go to the gym with Jared, and cook a few things. I am especially looking forward to visiting my niece and nephews!! They are a lot of fun and I miss babysitting them.

What am I eating for lunch today? This chicken, rice, Mexican recipe... I made a cross between two recipes that I have been meaning to try and added a few things of my own to it. ha. That is what cooking is all about anyhow. The original recipe came from Mrs. Bailey (for a Mexican chicken pot pie of sorts, I made it minus the crust). Yesterday at work I was looking at a similar recipe (that called for yogurt instead of sour cream) which inspired me to go home and cook it for dinner. The ingredients are listed below. I mixed various amounts of them together until I liked the taste. While I mixed everything together and preheated the oven I cooked the rice. I try to always have shredded chicken in my freezer so that can whip up dinners pretty fast. Then I sprinkled cheese on top of it and bake in for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F and on broil for a while until the top became a little crunchy. I served it over spinach with some corn chips crunched up on top. Pretty tasty. I'll make this again.
* brown rice (cooked for 35 minutes)
* shredded chicken (for freezer)
* yogurt
* a little sour cream (I ran out of yogurt)
* green peppers (I had some already chopped up that needed to be used)
* a can of green chilies
* garlic (recipe didn't call for any seasonings, but it was bland without it)
* cumin (added)
* oregano (added)
* salsa (doubled or tripled what the recipe called for)
* can of black beans (could use more... I am a big bean fan)
* corn (I added extra corn too)
* carrots (I had some cut up that I needed to use up... they are still crunchy... I wish I hadn't added them).

Happy birthday to the little babies of the family.
I love you both. See you this weekend!

Question: Do you have any exciting weekend plans?

3 comments:

  1. Those weekend plans sound great! Especially the part about gingerbread cookies with Grandma Cindy!!

    This weekend (Which starts tommorow when I get off work) I am going to finish a crafts project (hopefully) and generally putz around. BUT the most important and exciting thing we will be doing is going to see HARRRYYYYY POTTTEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Ben and I were unable to go to the midnight showing because of work (pfft!) But we are going to prance over and see it tomorrow and I AM EXCITED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linnea, our niece and nephews are so much fun. Krue reminds me so much of a little Jared. He is so funny!! And I am so glad you are having a girl because now I can say nieces and nephews!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your weekend is awesome! Hug those babies for me:)

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?