Thursday, November 11, 2010

Last night I came home from work and straightened the house.  I threw a ton of paper away. It is amazing how quickly it piles up (and we don't have a working printer or computer).  It was mostly mail.  Amazing.  Before I started straightening I threw a pot of southwest tortilla soup (tomatoes, onions, chili powder, beans, chicken broth, corn... etc) on the stove and some cornbread in the oven.  I love cornbread.  They were both finished by the time Jared came home from the dentist and perfect for a cold night at home.  Jared helped me put away the clothes and make the bed.  I seem to fail at making beds look neat.  My side of the bed comes up-tucked and is never as smooth as Jared's side.  My flannel sheets were amazing last night.  I didn't wake up once.  It was so cozy.  Winter is my favorite season for sleeping. 
 
Today I brought my soup in a mason jar just because I could.  :)  Actually, my containers were all in the dishwasher.  It worked out pretty well.  A wide mouth jar would have done the trick a little better.  Oh course I brought some corn bread for lunch too.  Yum yum yum.  There is just something about corn bread that is so good.  Do you know what is also really good?!?  I have this stuffing recipe (I think it is from my Christmas taste of home cookbook - Thanks Hannah) that is make from cornbread and biscuits.  It is the most amazing stuffing I have ever had.  Although, the pork, apple, and raisin stuffing that my German cookbook has in it, does rival it... You can't really compare the two.  I eat them both out of the pan and usually burn my mouth. 
 
Thanksgiving is coming soon!!!  It is just two weeks from today.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Food and family can't really be wrong.  I wonder what Mom wants me to make for thanksgiving.  She should text me and let me know.  :) 
 
Question: Where are you spending thanksgiving?  What is your favorite dish to make or eat?
We are spending thanksgiving with my parents, but we might run over and visit Jared's parents as well (my niece and nephews will be there and I want to see them).  This year I am really looking forward to pecan pie and pumpkin (or sweet potato) pie.  Mom, don't feel pressured to make either of those, if you weren't planning on it.   Do you want me to make a sweet potato pie?  I am game for that.  They should put sweet potatoes on sale soon at walmart.  I have been waiting for those and celery to go on sale.  They were super marked down last year the day before thanksgiving.  I didn't have a job last year so I guess that is why I was wandering around walmart on the day before thanksgiving.  I bought so many sweet potatoes last year and canned them and froze them.  I would like to do that again this year.  A kitchen tip before I run: Buy lots of celery and cut it all up at once and freeze it.  When a recipe calls for chopped celery just take the bag out and dump out the amount you need and put the rest back in the freezer.  It doesn't spoil on you and you save time and work.  I need a chest freezer, which requires room for a chest freezer.  It would save so much time and I could freeze so many more blueberries.  Jared is steady going through my blueberries in his oatmeal.  I wish I had picked more. 
 
Happy two weeks to thanksgiving!!!

8 comments:

  1. You are the best little homemaker, Faith! Yes, you can make the pie--that would be great! I love Thanksgiving, too. Such a cool concept for a holiday--giving thanks! And I just bought a huge number of sweet potatoes if you would like to use some. I thought they were on sale, but maybe not. I don't buy them very often so I just assumed...and you know what "they" say about that. Cashed in my $15 coupon at Food Lion yesterday; I loved it, even though others laughed at me. I figured I was spending it anyway there, I might as well get something back! Anyway, love you, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat blueberries in my oatmeal. I eat them in my cheerios and/or corn chex. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! So many questions!

    Fav. Winter clothing: I always seem to have a favorite GAP sweater. This year it is a green/gray cotton button sweater with a shawl collar and my Nana's orange maple leaf pin looks fabulous on it! It is cozy and warm and, maybe, stylish(the register girl at GAP was wearing it as I was purchasing mine:-)

    Flannel Sheets: Good in theory, but not good in reality. I think the Shore is too warm for flannel sheets. Only in W.N.Y. did I use them. (I can't even keep my flannel jammies on too long through the night; I find myself exchanging it for a cotton summer nightie about 2a.m.:-)

    Thanksgiving: Hosting the dinner at home. MIA: Hayley:-( But Rach will be here with a special guest, my parents, and my sister and an assortment from her family.

    Fav. dish: Probably the traditional (in our fam) Scalloped Oyster dish that came from my Nana's side of the family. Didn't like the oysters as a kid(ate the cream and butter filled oyster crackers around the oysters:-) But now I love the this dish-especially since I'm growing oysters out my back door:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cornbread: Favorite recipe is from Tasha Tudor's cookbook. Made in a cast iron frying pan and we now use the Indian Corn Cornmeal from the Machipongo Tea and Coffee Company(They have great fruit smoothies if you ever head down to the lower shore of Virginia)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I CAN'T WAIT TILL THANKSGIVING!!!!!


    oh and I didn't read your whole post, but if you asked about my favorite thanksgiving food, it is the corn pudding. oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This year for Thanksgiving I will be working for ten hours starting at 3:00 AM at Grand Forks International Airport. WOOOOTTTT. I can't think of a more fun thing to do on Thanksgiving!!

    Okay, so I am back from sobbing into my pillow about missing the Macy's thanksgiving day parade.

    But the nice thing about working at 3:00 AM is I get off by 1:30 (although I look/feel like zombie at this point).

    Ben and I are going to do SOMETHING when I get off. What, yet, I am not sure...but it will be just nice to be with Ben. I am REALLY hoping I get Christmas day off. I am fighting big time for that one.

    Let's see favorite Thanksgiving food....man....WHO CAN CHOOSE?!?! Growing up my favorite things from my dear mother's table were the chilled spiced peaches, jellied cranberry sauce and stuffing. We used to always have tea in our special crystal glasses. Sometime around dinner time Mom would present us with our 'Thanksgiving Happy' which is always some sort of Christmas decor (ornament, CD, doll etc.) This was to get us pumped for the holiday season! After dinner dad would put on something REALLY Christmasy like Kenny G's Christmas CD and we would welcome in the Holiday season. I miss those days!

    My clothing item I look forward to wearing is my very crazy winter hat given to me by Krissy one year. It's really crazy and warm and colorful! I always feel kinda goofy when I wear it.

    I also get excited about my ugg boots. MANNNNN they feel good.

    By the way, I agree with you - I ADORE FLANNEL SHEETS. Ben is a huge hater about flannel sheets but I think/hope deep down he really loves them like I do (or maybe he really does hate them...) heehheehe.

    I like thinking about Jared eating his blueberries in his corn chex. WE MUST BE RELATED!!! I eat frozen blueberries in my corn chex on a regular basis. Cool. I knew Jerry and I were twins or something.

    okay this has been a really long comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?