Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday Dinner

For dinner tonight we will be having flour tortillas, carnitas, refried beans, and all the taco toppings that are normally included (sour cream, cheese, spinach, salsa, peppers, corn...etc.). I never knew how easy it was to make tortillas until today. It is also a lot of fun!

Flour Tortillas
(makes 12 - 24 depending on the size and thinnest you make them)
* I fourthed the recipe and made 5.

* 4 cups flour
* 2 tsp. NaCl (Salt)
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 2 T. lard, shortening, butter... etc. (I used butter flavored shortening because that is all I have)
* 1-1/2 cup warm or hot H2O (water)

1. Mix dry ingredients together.

2. Cut in the shortening. I use a pastry cutter, but the recipe said it could be done by hand as well. I enjoy using a pastry cutter. It is rewarding to me.

3. Mix in the first cup of water and mix around (I use my right hand so I don't get my rings dirty). Add the last 1/2 cup bit by bit as you need it. I found that I didn't need the full amount of water. Knead it a little bit until it is smooth and elasticity.

4. The recipe said to divide it into the 24 balls, but I pulled a piece off for the first one just to play around and see how large I wanted the balls to be. I ended up making them a little larger then what the recipe called for. If I made the full batch I would probably make about 16 or 18 out of it. That would make you about the larger size of flour tortillas. After I figured out the size I wanted I divided them into balls of equal size.

5. Roll them out until they are really thin, on a floured surface. I have a nifty little piece of Teflon or something that I use to keep the flour from spreading all over the counter. I don't like to clean up flour and this makes clean up a bit easier. I wish it were twice the size; I usually end up rolling off the edge.

6. Place them into a hot skillet (that you have already heated up). There is no need for grease or anything in the pan. I had my stove setting on 8 or 9 to warm it up and then I decreased that down to 6 or 7 because they started to burn. They should heat about 30 - 60 seconds on each side or until they have a few of those little brown circles on them. If you cook them too much they will become crispy and unable to be folded (or that is what I read on the comment section of the recipe).

7. Enjoy. You can sort of see the first one that I made under the second one. It was a little bit larger until I ate it. I thought it was a bit too large. This would be the size of the tortilla if you made 16 balls out of the dough. The second one came out a good size. It was about the size of what you would get if you made 20 balls out of the dough.

If my refried beans turn out well, I will post the recipe of them tomorrow. I found a slow cooker recipe for them. I love refried beans! They smell wonderful, but still have five hours to cook.

1 comment:

  1. Refried bean recipe and Spanish Rice recipe to follow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?