Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pinto Beans that taste better than Chipotle pinto beans and some Spanish Rice

**No pictures because Spanish Rice and Refried beans aren't the prettiest of foods.  **


Spanish Rice
* 2 cups rice
* 2 -15 oz cans of chicken broth
* 1 can diced tomatoes, pureed
* 1 small onion
* 1/2 bell pepper
* 1/2 tsp garlic or 1 clove
* vegetable oil or butter or margarine
* mixed vegetables (optional)

- Notes: I didn't have regular rice because Jared had bought some rice in the bag from when he lived alone (not that he ever cooked it because I found the box unopened, but he had purchased it). I decided to use that up instead of buying new rice. So I didn't follow the directions as they were written. I only used 1-1/4 cups of liquid because that is what the box called for. I basically halved this recipe and then I only cooked it for the time that the box said (10 minutes) instead of the 20 that the recipe calls for. I think it would turn out basically the same. I thought it was a little tomatoy, but I might have added more tomato then it called for. I used tomato paste instead of diced tomatoes. So that could definitely have deepened the flavor of the liquid.

1. Cook the oil/butter/margarine and the rice for about ten minutes. You want the rice to be browning and crunchy. I ended up only cooking mine for about six minutes and then adding the vegetables because it looked like it was almost about to burn. You don't want it to burn, but you want to get as close to possible without burning it.

2. After cooking the rice add the onions, peppers, and mixed vegetables (I used some frozen from a bag). Mix that around until the onions and peppers are soft. Add the garlic and stir around.

3. Mix the tomato puree and the chicken broth together. Pour over the rice. DO NOT STIR. I tilted the pan to even out the broth, but I didn't stir. Let it come to a slow steady boil and cook for 20 - 25 minutes (as I stated, I only cooked mine for ten since it was boil in the bag).

4. Fluff with a fork. Don't use a spoon.


Refried Beans (without the refry)
* 1 onion
* 3 cups dried pinto beans
* 1/2 jalapeno pepper
* 2 T. garlic
* 5 tsp. NaCl (salt)
* 1-3/4 tsp. black pepper
* 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
* 1 - 2 tsp. chili powder
* 9 cups of H2O (water)

1. Mix all in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 8 hours (I found that it didn't take quite this long. Mine were ready in 4-6 hours, but I halved the recipe, so maybe that made a difference, however when I left them in for the full 8 hours they were 10 times better than they were at 4 hours). Add more water if needed during cooking if it looks like their isn't any water left (I didn't add more water and I let them cook down until there was only a little liquid left). You might want to take some out and mash them in a bowl with a fork and see if they need any more seasonings. I added more garlic, cumin, and chili powder.  Be careful because they will be spicier at the end than when you test them at 4 or 6 hours.

* note: I skipped step 2 and served them whole in the juice that they had made.  There wasn't very much juice left and it reminded me of Chipotle pinto beans.  I tasted them after 8 hours in the crockpot and I was so happy to taste Chipotle.  They are a little spicier than Chipotle pinto beans, but that is even better.  I love them!

2. Drain the liquid into a bowl. Mash the remaining pinto beans with a potato masher. They should still be chunky when you are finished. Only canned refried beans are completely smooth. Add any liquid back into the beans that you think you want. You can make them as thick or as thin as you want.

3. I serve mine with cheese and sour cream. I also served it with the above rice recipe, flour tortillas, spinach, and carnitas.

~Faith

P.S. I had forgotten that the work halved is spelled like that. I wanted to put halfed. What other words are similar to that in the English language?

P.P.S. You aren't getting the carnitas recipe because I didn't like them at all. The rest of the awesome food hid their boring flavor, but they aren't worth making again. I will continue to search for a recipe for them.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?