Monday, October 05, 2009

Baby shoes and apple sauce

Five sets of baby shoes made.
If Linnea and Ben ever have a girl they will be getting a pair made from the little flowered material since I bought it with Linnea on an ICEE run a long time ago.

Challenge to fill all 24 quart jars before Jared comes home from work.
Bonus if you get them all sealed as well.

Peel apples with one hand, while stirring the pot with another hand. During that take time to mashed the cooked apples, season them, fill the jars with the complete applesauce, and boil and blend (in the blender) the skins and their juice to give the applesauce a nice reddish brown color.

11 jars finished. Three hours down. Three hours to go.
I ended up only getting 20 of the jars sealed by the time Jared came home, but they were all filled!!
Here is a picture of my kitchen and how I used every available space. ha. The counter on the let was used to hold my empty, washed jars and lids. Next to it in the corner is my blender and next to that was my pile of dirty dishes. In the sink were the apples in warm water being washed. In the right corner was the apple peeler, bowl for peeled apples, and the bag for the cores and peels to go into. On the stove was a pot for the jars, a pot for the jar lids, a pot for the apples, and a saucepan for the apple peels. In the foreground of the picture you can see the table with my mixing bowl, all my seasonings, and the jars being filled. It was crazy. It was fun. I love making applesauce!!

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed getting the apples (and apple donuts) with you and I had a great day with you! I was able to make and freeze 18 quarts from 2.5 bushels on Saturday. This gave me a 7.2 bushel to quart ratio (Btq). Congratulations on being able to obtain an 8.0 Btq from your apples. Let’s go again! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith! That about made me cry! That is so sweet! Now I want to have a girl even more!

    p.s. I wish I could have a jar of that apple sauce. Mmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Tim-you crack me up-I know it exists but I don't consciously apply math in my kitchen;-)

    Faith-GREAT job! What fun to can your own stuff. I always loved it. (I'm on to trying pot pourri via your MIL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I am very proud of and happy for you! I personally like freezing stuff more than canning (maybe it's because it takes more math to do the canning....)And, when I see the picture of your kitchen after doing it, I see why I don't like doing either of them sometimes; it exhausts me just looking at all that clean-up! And the clean up always comes when I am so tired. That's why I think doing it with someone is much better, like the proverb, two are better than one: one can prepare and freeze or can and the second team can arrive all fresh to clean it all up and make it shine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. why doesn't it show I updated on the bottom right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooops! now it does...ugh, me and computers....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what my apple to quart ratio is. Sorry. Next time we go to get apples I will keep track for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?