Monday, September 14, 2009

Prayer time and Sunday nights

There are many things my wonderful church offers that I missed out on for three years while I was at college. When I returned from college I noticed that quite a few other people are missing out on these "means of grace". I encourage you all to avail yourselves (to take advantage) of the means of grace and attend one (or more or all) of these events.

1. Prayer time at 8:45am on Sunday mornings. I cannot say enough about this. I don't like praying out loud (ask Jared), but I don't mind this. We pray through Psalms. You simply read a verse and pray about something the verse mentioned or really anything that is on your heart or you can simply say "pass" and let the verse speak for itself. We meet in the last room on the right at the end of the hallway. It would be a HUGE encouragement to the same old people that come every week to see a new face!!!! They would be so surprised and happy to see new people. I beg of you to come and pray before church with us. As Pastor Shelton always quotes, "when we work we just get would man can do, when we pray we get what God can do." Please come! Prayer is essential.

2. Sunday night church. It is only an hour long and it just teaches me so much. It is my favorite part of Sundays.

3. Sunday School. Find one that fits you. I agree that all of the Sunday School classes (and/or teachers) don't interest me each quarter, but I can always find one that I am interested in. I learn a lot just from hearing other people in the classes talk about what they are learning. Also, I would like to request that Mr. Howard teach a Sunday School class again (at least think about it). I have been talking to people and we think you would be great at teaching a sermon discussion class. Everyone loved the last class you taught. :)

4. Women's Retreat - This year's theme is Joy in Christ Alone and the speaker is Andree Sue (writer for World Magazine). I totally understand if you want to only come for Saturday and not Friday night. I only came on Saturday last year. I just like the women's retreat because I have a chance to talk to people in depth instead of ten seconds as I pass them in the hallway at church. Also, the silent auction has some great items and most women in our church are too nice to outbid you... so you can get some really nice stuff for pretty cheap. :)

That is all for now. Please pray about attending one or more of them. They are just so great; I can't say enough about them. And it would be encouraging to your session, your pastor, and the other members of your church to see you show up to one of these events. THANKS!!

4 comments:

  1. Faith, you are a real doll!And I bet a lot of people appreciate your steadfastness!

    You have convicted me because I don't go to Sunday school, women's prayer meeting, or Wednesday night church.

    Maybe you can add me to your prayer list? I have attitude problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are limited in your Sunday school choices... That is understandable. When I was away at college I didn't go to Sunday school. I never found one I liked. I guess I should have hung in there and maybe learned something from one of them, but I didn't.

    You are always on my prayer list, but not because of your attitude problem. :) Just because I love my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. faith, thank you so much for your goading. your family has been so kind and affirming toward me whenever i've summoned up the courage to lead a class. i will give it some prayerful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I love you Faith !!!! And miss you too !! I come home in 3 days!!

    Love Hope <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?