Thursday, August 13, 2009

More photos from life ...

The making of Grandipop's chili.

Cooking: 1lb of meat
Also cutting up 6 stalks of celery, 3 onions, and 2 peppers.

Peppers, onions, and celery

draining the meat

2 giant cans of kidney beans, two large cans of diced tomatoes, two cans of italian stewed tomatoes (these can be fudged... like sometimes I use italian diced tomatoes or six little cans or seven depending on what is in the pantry), 1TBS chili powder, 1 TBS Worcester Sauce, and at the very end 2 -3 TBS of honey (put in right before serving). Oh and a little salt and pepper.

I blend my tomatoes all up so that I don't have chunks of tomato because I don't like that.

It is all finished and waiting for dinner (and more dinner and another dinner and dinner with Matt Robins and more dinner... ). I serve it with cheese, sour cream, and either mexican chips or fritos.

I made popovers because I needed to use up some eggs and milk and because we had had them in Maine and I wanted to try to make them again for our 1 month anniversary. Yay.

I took Hope to the free movie yesterday and I couldn't help but notice how insanely huge my parents impatients have grown. I thought they were big for the wedding, but now they are giant. Wow. Hard to believe they started off as single little two inch by two inch plants.



7 comments:

  1. Blah. I blogged and told me I had an error!
    I am re-learning to cook for Two. Made enough roast beef tonight to feed the 5000.It was one of those recipes that uses the beef in a different way each night. What it really means is there ain't no chicken on the table for a week!
    (Your chili looks yummy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the cooking for 4 people down pretty well. Most of my meals last two nights. I made extra chili because I wanted to freeze some. Last time I made it I halved it and it was a perfect little amount. I can't get the two portion sizes down because I am always afraid Jared is going to be hungry. So I can cook for one or four. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popovers! I remember those--We ordered some at a little restaurant in the Acadia park--with a little personal pot of tea--It seamed lots of places there served tea in personal teapots--I really liked that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had them in Acadia National Park!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read a couple mystery novels about an amateur detective who is a bakery owner (ok, my kids at least are crying lame right now but so what); anyway there are always several of her recipes throughout and the last one had popovers as one of the recipes and I didn't really know what they were (I read it while we were away). So now I do. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and bravo to the political comments and encouragement above. And, your kitchen and pots and pans and all look so beautiful, like a magazine. so happy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?