Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yesterday I finished my fourth and fifth book for February!!

In February I have read:
* The Messenger - Lois Lowry
* Eric Liddell Biography
* Gone Away Lake
* When Sinners Say I Do - Dave Harvey
* Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God - Noel Piper

Gone Away Lake was an awesome children's novel about these two cousins having adventures in the woods behind there house all summer. I really enjoyed that one.

When Sinners Say I Do is one of my favorite marriage books that I have read so far. I am giving it to Jared this weekend for him to read and then I told him that I would love to read it together once we get married. It is excellent. But I haven't finised John Pipers "This Momentary Marriage". I think, since I love his sermon series on marriage so much, I am going to LOVE him book. So it will probably end up being my favorite book on marriage.

Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God might have been my favorite book this month just because it is broken into five biographies of five women in history, Sarah Edwards, Lilias Trotter, Gladys Aylward, Ester Ahn Kim, and Helen Roseveare, and each section we only 30 - 40 pages long. That meant that I could work out for forty minutes and finish a whole biography of a person. I like reading biographies while I work out, but since I only work out three times a week it takes several weeks to read a book and it is hard to remember everything you read. Plus, it was really encouraging to read about all these women's lives. They were great reminders of living Godly lives that reflected our master.

4 comments:

  1. Faith, you have inspired me to read more than I do! So thank you! (You've also inspired me to stop re-reading all of my favorite books...bad bad habit of mine!)


    So far the best marriage book that I have read has been "Stepping Heavenward" by Mrs. E. Prentiss.

    But there are so many great marriage books! (And so many fruity ones...). Sometimes books directed to just WIVES really grate on my nerves by being all hoo-hoo and i-love-embroidering-and nursing-babies-holy-me. But "Sacred Influence" by Gary Thomas is actually a really cool book for wives. I think it's because a man wrote it? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Feminine Appeal, but yeah, I know what you mean about some of them being fruity. heh.

    Is Stepping Heavenward the book your Dad had to read? He told me two weeks ago that he was going to give us the same book as you all. So I don't want to go buy it if he already has copy for me. But if it isn't the book then I will definitely go out and purchase it.

    Reading is great fun. The more I do the more I enjoy it. See you in 137 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feminine Appeal was pretty good! I can't really remember too much of it, it's been about 4 years since I've read it. (it probably would do me good to pick it up again). And I am glad you also think some of those books are fruity!

    The book my Dad is probably going to give you is No Longer Two...which is AMAZING!(It's the book he gave to us). I guess I never considered it a marriage book because it's definitely PRE-marital stuff. But it is amazing and VERY educational.

    Yeah I actually just read Stepping Heavenward in November and it completely changed my life. COMPLETELY. Never has one book had such an effect on me. (except the Bible...duh!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I might borrow some of the books you guys have liked! I don't get 'new' english books here and most people aren't getting married, living here! Soon, I will be back to the Eastern Shore though...

    I'm glad you liked "When Sinner's Say I Do"!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?