Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My goal this year is to read at least an average of four books a month.

In January I started and finished:
*Persuasion
*Hudson Taylor biography
* Gathering Blue
*Amy Carmichael biography

In February I have already finished two books and am half way through another one. The more I read, the more I want to read. It is great. If you have any suggestions on good books to read please leave me a comment. So far on my list of books to read this year (and ones that people have suggested for me to read) are:
* The Road
* 1984 (rereading it)
* The Great Divorce - CS Lewis
* Screwtape Letters (rereading it) - CS Lewis
* Gone Away Lake
* Eric Liddel Biography
* When Sinners Say I Do

* Respectable Sins (rereading it for small group) - Jerry Bridges
* The Awakening
* A Brave New World
* The Silent Boy - Lois Lowry
* The Excellent Wife
* Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God - Noel Piper
* John Adams (I am going to finish this this year!!)
* Trusting God - Jerry Bridges
* Stepping Heavenward
* The Godly Man's Picture - Thomas Watson

That is enough to get me through the end of the semester, but what about the rest of the year? Leave comment!! Recommend books, send me books, let me borrow books. Books books books.

13 comments:

  1. Putting Amazing Back into Grace
    by Michael Horton

    Trusting God
    by Jerry Bridges

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAITH! I am currently reading The Road! That made me excited to see it on your list. It's depressing but really well written. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, you have some great books on your list there!

    If I were to recommend just one book it would HAVE to be "Stepping Heavenward" buy E. Prentiss.

    It might be best to wait and read it after you get married . .who knows! All I know is that it changed my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Jared told me that I should read it because he said it only took him four hours to read and that he couldn't put it down. He said he lent it to Matt and he couldn't put it down either. So... I figured it had to be a pretty good read. I am supposed to get to from Jared this weekend and I might start it next week or the week after. I will definitely let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Wendy, I love Jerry Bridges! So I will add that to the list. Woohoo. More bridges.

    And Linnea I will add your book as well. I'm sure it will be useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. Stepping Heavenward!

    How 'bout "Goodnight, Moon", "Sheep in a Jeep", "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". You can read these with the nieces and nephews:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really think those would count towards the total count. heh. I wish they could. I also figured books of the Bible don't really count either. I think I decided a book has to be over 150 and really I like books that are over 200 pages. However, I think the Messenger and Gathering Blue were both 180ish... So I'll say 150 and they can both slide by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never underestimate the power of a good childrens' book! And where is your poetry?! John Donne, Robert Frost, and a little AA Milne?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree! a lot of my favorite books are childrens books! I could spend hours in barnes and nobles just looking at all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about Watershipdown and To Kill a Mockingbird? I just finished The Good Earth, a rich book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i feel like you should know...i'm back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thom and I both read The Road, and we both regret it. It was so disturbing. It will never go away from my brain and that makes me very sad. I wanted to stop, but kept thinking there would be a redeeming quality. nope! My friend wanted to borrow it and I wouldn't lend it. I didn't want it stuck in her head too. In fact I think I'm throwing this one out, and I don't think I've EVER done that before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really? Jared says it is great. But then if I think about his movies that he likes... hmmm, I might have to rethink reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?