Thursday, July 19, 2007

Becoming Undragoned

I like the Chronicles of Narnia. I was found the story of Eustace Scrubb, becoming a dragon and then having his scales removed, interesting. I read an article about his story today. I have included a quote from it. The whole article is worth reading; I like the way it describes what the story is saying. So, here is just a bit to get you started thinking about his story. I think I may have to go reread these wonderful books again! There is so much goodness in them.

Part of conversion is recognizing our own powerlessness to change ourselves. We must surrender. The change begins in a moment but we choose it again and again for the rest of our lives. Our ongoing surrender to grace is a slow walk — more turtle than hare. We are nudged along this difficult and discouraging path by hope, just like Eustace, who was always just "beginning to change."

"It would be nice and fairly nearly true to say that "from that time forth Eustace was a different boy." To be strictly accurate, he began to be a different boy. He had relapses. There were still many days when he could be very tiresome. But most of those I shall not notice. The cure had begun."

- C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?