Saturday, June 09, 2007

I spent my day today helping Mrs. Taylor clean out the library and making stuffed shells (heh, what a great memory**). Thank you Mrs. Taylor for being my friend and second mother. :) You are a joy. I thank God for you.

** Stuffed shells story:
Mrs. Taylor calls me on my way down to Tyaskin and asks me to pick up JUMBO shells because she only has the large ones. Well, I pick up a box of jumbo shells and both Mrs. Taylor and I have agreed now that the jumbo shells are a little lacking in the jumbo department. They are like an inch and a half across, maybe two inches. They are not really the type that you stuff, but they were the biggest that the store had. So anyhow, I get down to the Taylors and we clean for a while and then we decided to cook the sauce. Mrs. Taylor looks in the pantry (don't you love that, pantry... what a fun word) and sees that she doesn't have tomato sauce (which she always has, except for today). So we ask Dr. Taylor to go buy us some, but he returns and the store in the area don't have any large cans. We seemed to have a problem with big things this day. ha. So Mrs. Taylor calls the neighbors and we collect a can of home canned tomato juice, a can of tomato puree, a can of tomato paste, and a jar of spaghetti sauce. When we get back to the house, we throw everything in the pan with a little big of seasonings and taste it. It is okay, but still not great. It is too sweet and is missing something. Anyhow, we play around with it a while and still don't get it. Mrs. Taylor says to just let it sit while we stuff our jumbo mini shells.

So we go to get out the ricotta cheese and can't find it. We look in both refrigerators and ask everyone in the house if they had bought any, but there is not ricotta cheese to be found. By this time the meal is just plain funny. First there are mini shells, with sauce that is thrown together from random places, and then no cheese. After thinking for a while, the sauce becomes spaghetti sauce and we add meatballs (that end of making the sauce taste funny, but everyone else liked it but us so I guess all was good). Mrs. Taylor pulled out that really awesomely good french bread that the Shwan man brings and it was a good meal, other than the spaghetti noodles being a little sticky. Haha. But that is the story of Mrs. Taylor trying to surprise me and make me stuffed shells because she knows that I adore them. In the end I think I will certainly remember this story a lot longer and I will have to chuckle whenever I see a stuffed shell. Plus, this gives me an excuse to come down to her house again.

All in all it was a very enjoyable day with great friends!!

2 comments:

  1. Great story! Life is always amusing at the Taylor household and everything always comes together in some way, shape or form! I can't wait for my parents and sister to experience Tyaskin in all its glory.

    It's good to know my bedroom has finally been dealt with too!

    What is summer without the Taylors place? What did we all do before they moved down there? Keep the good times rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly an amazing cooking experience! (If we had been closer to Ponzetti's, I would have thrown in the "cooking" towel at the point of no sauce:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?